Free push notifications Workaround

I have a solution for PUSH NOTIFICATIONS. It works with IOS and ANDROID. It is quick and has ZERO cost to everyone. You can do this in your google sheet or a separate sheet that is linked to your original (I used 4 linked sheets, I’ll explain later). 1st you setup on your sheet a variable or value you are wanting to trigger the notification. This data will need a VLOOKUP formula to link to the person you want notified’s phone number and phone carrier, so when the vlaue on the sheet is found using VLOOKUP it will display next to it the phone number and carrier. A text message can be sent using email addresses as long as you know the carrier email setup. I will list these at the end of this so you know how to setup your VLOOKUP to find the right one. Next to these cells you need a cell that combines the 2 cells(ex. 5551234567@txt.att.net). Second link the data to another Google Sheet using IMPORTRANGE. the data you link is going to be the variable(s) you are wanting notifications to be triggered by. On this same sheet you will have the above mentioned combined email address displayed (when its really a text address). Now that we isolated the person we wanted to send a message to we can setup a message in the same manner using VLOOKUP or we can setup a default message in the Google Script.
Open up Scripts and use this script. Now keep in mind you can customize this to work on the same Google Sheet you App resides in but I chose not to because google limits 500 emails per day per account…so I made 4 dummy accounts for 2k notifications per day
/**

• Sends emails with data from the current spreadsheet.
    */
    function sendEmails() {
    var sheet = SpreadsheetApp.getActiveSheet();
    var startRow = 2; // First row of data to process
    var numRows = 2; // Number of rows to process
    // Fetch the range of cells A2:B3
    var dataRange = sheet.getRange(startRow, 1, numRows, 2);
    // Fetch values for each row in the Range.
    var data = dataRange.getValues();
    for (var i in data) {
    var row = data[i];
    var emailAddress = row[0]; // First column
    var message = row[1]; // Second column
    var subject = ‘Sending emails from a Spreadsheet’;
    MailApp.sendEmail(emailAddress, subject, message);
    }
    }

With a few modifications you can set it up anyway you want really. Here is the carrier list I have compiled so far.
|ALLTELL| @txt.att.net|
|ATT| @tmomail.net|
|BOOST| @vtext.com|
|C-SPIRE| @messaging.sprintpcs.com|
|CINGULAR (ATT)| @vtext.com|
|CONSUMER CELLULAR| @vmobl.com|
|CRICKET| @mmst5.tracfone.com|
|GOOGLE FI| @smtext.com|
|METRO| @mailmymobile.net|
|MINT| @vtext.com|
|PAGE| @mymetropcs.com|
|RED POCKET| @sms.myboostmobile.com|
|REPUBLIC WIRELESS| @txt.att.net|
|SIMPLE| @text.republicwireless.com|
|SPRINT| @msg.fi.google.com|
|STRAIGHT TALK| @email.uscc.net|
|TING| @message.ting.com|
|TMOBILE| @mailmymobile.net|
|TRACFONE| @cspire1.com|
|US CELLULAR| @vtext.com|
|VERIZON| @message.Alltel.com|
|VIRGIN| @vtext.com|
|XFINITY| @cingularme.com|

And there you have it. Free notifications for anything in your app you need them for

35 Likes
3 Likes

Yes, I’m sorry. A few are misaligned. I copied them out of my excel document and they didnt format correctly. Heres the list fixed:
|ALLTELL| @message.Alltel.com|
|ATT| @txt.att.net|
|BOOST| @sms.myboostmobile.com|
|C-SPIRE| @cspire1.com|
|CINGULAR (ATT)| @cingularme.com|
|CONSUMER CELLULAR| @mailmymobile.net|
|CRICKET| @txt.att.net|
|GOOGLE FI| @msg.fi.google.com|
|METRO| @mymetropcs.com|
|MINT| @mailmymobile.net|
|PAGE| @vtext.com|
|RED POCKET| @vtext.com|
|REPUBLIC WIRELESS| @text.republicwireless.com|
|SIMPLE| @smtext.com|
|SPRINT| @messaging.sprintpcs.com|
|STRAIGHT TALK| @vtext.com|
|TING| @message.ting.com|
|TMOBILE| @tmomail.net|
|TRACFONE| @mmst5.tracfone.com|
|US CELLULAR| @email.uscc.net|
|VERIZON| @vtext.com|
|VIRGIN| @vmobl.com|
|XFINITY| @vtext.com|
Thanks for the heads up.

3 Likes

@Drearystate awesome stuff!

how did you get the carrier information? I’m based in the UK and would like to get this started with our carriers over here.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance

3 Likes

Google search to find the sms-email address locally
Couple things to remember.

1. Apps script limit of emails per day is 100 for basic Gmail.
  2. You can send emails to all the local carriers for each number if you prefer, without knowing the person’s specific carrier. You may have to weed down the list of carriers a bit to find the main ones. (Example. In Canada, Telus owns Koodo, so the sms-to-email for either of these will work if you’re with Koodo or Telus. So only need to include Telus email address, if that makes sense)
1 Like

Great thanks! Will look into it

This is super cool. Is there any way you could make a screen recording of how you set it up? That would make it so much easier for us to implement. Thanks!

6 Likes

Great stuff. Very creative. Tx.

I’m sorry. I’ve been away for a little bit. I will make a video here within the next couple of days.

2 Likes

Yes, GMAIL does limit the amount of email that can be sent out per account per day. I took this into consideration and created multiple accounts and just used google sheets IMPORTRANGE function on all accounts to account for as many notifications I may need per day. I will also update my carrier list if anyone has additional carriers to list in here. I am from the states and do not know of many other carriers butwould be happy to add them.

I will look up UK carriers for you and add them to this list. Sorry for the delay, this Virus has taken people from me and I have yet to jump back into Glide, but I will be back on here soon.

1 Like

This is amazing. Looking forward to the video.

1 Like

sorry to hear. there’s no rush I myself haven’t been able to get on to glide. thanks for list. let me know if you need anything.

Thanks for sharing this. Very helpful

FYI…this is a functional on iOS. Building this into my next app using VLookups to merge phonenumber/carrier data and Zapier (new Row -> Email). Thanks for the idea!

6 Likes

Wow, its awesome, how to do that?

All you need to do is concatenate the phone number (prefix) with the carrier address (suffix) in the sheet (not data editor). Create a new Zapier zap that sends an email to that concatenation when a new row is added to the sheet.

2 Likes

You can do this without getting zapier involved and prevent thje additional coding.

1 Like

Care to explain?

the same way i did above