šŸ†• All-New Team Plans Coming Thursday, April 21st

You seem to have drastically changed your stance as far as the plans are concerned.
While I was voicing my concerns about the updates quota, you were very happy and satisfied with starter plan, so what changed @Uzo?

@Luther Iā€™m still very happy with Starterā€¦ 5 Apps with all features for $25, which is perfect for a developerā€¦ now, in case of the real use of these Apps, quotas are a game stopperā€¦ I did not even finish the App and run out of quotas, so if ill get a view users, it will finish in just view days or maybe even hours, letsā€™s see how the new syncing process will work, as David mentioned, Glide is changing the process, so I have high hopes for that.
I still think that there should be at least 2 more plansā€¦ one below $10 and one in a range of $40 to $50.

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure if the entry components are responsible for such high consumption of quotasā€¦ I noticed that when typing, google sheets are being updated every single letter or backspaceā€¦ it should be updated when you finish enteringā€¦ BTW entry fields should have ENTER action, only the computed columns should react to live typingā€¦ so when in the entering mode, it should work like a user-specific column, until you hit enter. that might give Glide huge savings across all apps, and reduce our triggered scriptā€™s run time.

1 Like

That has been my stance from the beginning with these plan that they are a great initiative from Glide and are much needed but itā€™s just the updates that needs reworkingā€¦
I also have faith that in the end they will find an amicable solutionā€¦

4 Likes

And they will, rest assured. Glide is very interested in being generous yet doing whatā€™s fair. From the discussions Iā€™ve seen both in and out of this forum, Iā€™m confident that an ā€œamicableā€ solution will be achieved.

8 Likes

Agreed. Iā€™m not going to worry about it too much until glide hashes out the finer details of how it counts updates.

3 Likes

The discussion about the new price plans has lately revolved around the updates (and syncs). It seems Glide is going to help out with the syncs by giving us an easy way to switch to Glide tables (like they already have in place for Excel and Airtable). That doesnā€™t solve for the use-cases where Sheets (or Excel and Airtable) are implemented for a reason, but I know not every app I have in the pipeline is going to require Excel ā€“ although some surely will.

But all discussion around updates has revolved around what updates count and what updates wonā€™t be counted. Thatā€™s good for us (the updates that wonā€™t be counted), but of course Glide still needs to pay the piper for all updates, and including all updates on free teams. The paid plans will have to offset those losses.

Today I was thinking of a way to allow more updates in a team without costing Glide any more. Of course not all apps fall under the usage scenario I am thinking ofā€¦ Some apps will be heavily used in some months and not in others. Think of an app that is used to plan and implement a convention. During the planning phase, almost all updates will take place in the builder, so those updates wonā€™t count. During the event, you will have excessive usage, especially if you have a feature for people to leave comments and remarks and ā€˜likeā€™ or ā€˜favoriteā€™ certain events or speakers. Then post-event, there will be very few updates as people simply use the data for post-convention activities (tallys, statistics, future planning,etc.). Most post-convention activity will be read-only.

So why not implement some type of ā€œrolloverā€ updates. Any updates not used by a team in one month will roll over to the next month. I am certain that many apps, not just of the kind I have just outlined, will vary in usage month by month. Those that are heavily used full time, of course, will not benefit from rollover updates. But I feel certain many apps will benefit from that.

The end goal is not to allow someone to ā€˜get away withā€™ a cheaper plan, but to enable a team to have multiple apps that may have an upsurge in usage from time-to-time. Think about an inventory app ā€“ most months it just sits there reporting your inventory, with adjustments being made due to sales and breakage, etc. But then thereā€™s the twice a year inventory process, where inventory is counted on ALL items, and compared with what is in the database. Thereā€™s your uptick in usage twice a year.

At any rate, I thought it a good idea to kick around and see what people think.

1 Like

Question to the Glide team surrounding syncs.

Could we have a simple Boolean that allows the Glide app creator the ability to turn off or pause syncs between spreadsheets?

So if my app sync is paused, the new data is not synced between glide and googlesheet (or excel or Airtable) until I turn it on again. That way we have more control as to when our app syncs and uses monthly sync allocation to circumvent unintended sync usage.

2 Likes

Hey, Eric!

In what situations would you find this feature to be useful?

1 Like

@DJP In minimizing unintended sync usage.

My use case would be to disable app syncs while I am still actively designing or thinking through the fields and datasets within the app. Ideally, I would initialize the sync once the build is finished and the pre-data is ready to be synced. Therefore minimizing sync usage (since this is now counted on our selected plan).

I am just trying to think through some alternative options to keep the sync limits from being hit unintentionally during builds.

1 Like

I see. We should have a simple fix for you then

Updates will not be counted when your project is not published, so thatā€™ll allow you to build without using any Updates

4 Likes

so if a pro app goes to the starter it works like before?

I just learned about these new pricing plans when I went to develop a new app today, and found out I can no longer create them, without doing something with ā€œteamsā€, and even then it seems Iā€™m limited to just a 3 apps for free and 5 for $300 a year. Iā€™ve enjoyed the ability to make apps for myself and friends. I donā€™t do it commercially, I keep my personal bowling scores on one, Iā€™ve got one dedicated to the stats for a boardgame that I play with a friend, and another dedicated to scoring and the stats for a different boardgame I play with 2 friends. I also make one every now and then when I want to get a few friends to make their guesses in sports pools.

My issue isnā€™t with limitations on capacity or users, as I donā€™t use many. But the limitation on apps is the one that affects me. Today, for example, I was going to write an app to keep track of shared expenses for an upcoming trip with 2 other friends, when I learned I couldnā€™t create anymore projects. I just have fun building them, and the tool is so easy.

Have you considered a more reasonable pricing plan for personal, non-commercial users?

The limitation is for published apps, so if you write an app for a specific trip, you can unpublish it afterward.

You can also just create a new team. One team for gaming apps; one team for trips, etc.

6 Likes

Oh thank you. Iā€™d not realized I could create more than one team.

1 Like

Hi guys,

I just want to share my experience and my disappointment.
Normally, I didnā€™t say anything but Iā€™m angry (meaning that I love Glide).

Iā€™ve created a Glide App since 2020, have more than 50 private users who log in and I was charged 29$. Great.

Now, as the GlideApp is very slow, I changed for GlidePage with the same database and same use.
I was charged 215$ !!

MAY 27 ā€“ JUL 27, 2022

Pro Monthly Page User Overage

Qty 68
$136.00
$2.00 each

White Labeling
Qty 1
$10.00

Glide Pro (per app)

Qty 1
$29.00

Pro Private Monthly Page (per page)

Qty 1
$40.00

Do you think itā€™s fair for me (Iā€™m not a big company - just a solopreneur) and itā€™s not sustainable for me??

How can it be possible to have like glide says billions new creators if we canā€™t afford it???

I contacted the support (they answer fast, theyā€™re nice) but they donā€™t offer any solutions.

In the new pricing plans you donā€™t pay per app. I donā€™t understand that billing.

1 Like

Yeah I think that bill looks weird. Also why does it say May 27 to Jul 27, a 2-month period?

1 Like

I also have some concern regarding the new pricing for glide. I mean, I like the idea that multiple apps can be charged under the same team.

I used glide as a workflow and information sharing across teams and this required a lot of updates but not so much for the rows. Iā€™m currently trying the pro which is 99/month which is great, but with only 10,000 updates (across all apps). This does create a lot of problem for me. Before I use to pay 24/month for one app which has unlimited updates (which is more suitable for my projects). But as of now, I run out of updates within 10 days after my apps are published. Would it be possible to count updates individually for each application?

Because with the current pricing, I cannot create multiple apps in the same team since the updates would run out really quickly. This means, I have to create my apps in different teams and be paying 99/month for all the teams. (before I could only be spending 24 x 3 apps = 72 dollars (this is also unlimited updates), but now it would cost me 297 dollars instead - with only 10,000 updates per team)

I hope I am making sense

Thankyou

2 Likes

Hi, Krit!

You can get in touch with our Sales team to purchase prepaid updates at a discount.