šŸ†• All-New Team Plans Coming Thursday, April 21st

I donā€™t think so, eventhough my country is not the richiest in the world.

The way I see it, you all seem to have an impression from Glide that now has changed, and itā€™s not a bad thing. I mean, Glide canā€™t make everyone happy.

For some Glideā€™s new pricing is a steal. Old pricing seems to have benefict 1-app kind of ā€˜developersā€™ but now it doesnā€™t and it is what it is. Anyone looking for a no-code / low-code takes the risk around this kind of changes being implemented in the future.

Glide is not the only platform in the world, and for some cases may not be the best one either. I learnt this from my AppSheet experience. Things change and you have to move or you will be hurted, like it or not.

We should all see whatā€™s now available inside Glide and adapt or leave, while providing constructive feedback instead of a buck of tears

2 Likes

Everyone should know that @SkrOYC is my alter ego shadow account :rofl:

6 Likes

it is very constructive feedbackā€¦ platform is greatā€¦ quotas and pricing, not so muchā€¦ is hard to make a home shopping list with these quotas :wink:

But if I do this in Glide Tables what happens? How are the updates counted? Is it still a sync, even though Iā€™m doing everything within Glide? Is it different if I use Airtable? Does it depend on the speed at which my data source completes the changes?

I already know the answer to most of these questions (having read all the comments on this thread), but will new users be willing to take the time to figure it out?

So if I use an automation in Airtable (or Zapier) to update a text field, and that automation makes changes record by record, does that change things? I believe that the answer is that it depends on how quickly the automation runs, but again, how on earth do you explain all of this to a new user without driving them away?

Iā€™m concerned about the number of additional things I need to consider when building an app. How do I structure my system to reduce the number of ā€œupdatesā€? Every additional question I need to ask to determine how much I will actually need to pay makes me less likely to choose Glide.

Iā€™m sure that this works well in terms of Glide ensuring that its pricing matches its actual costs per user as closely as possible, and I acknowledge that this is important for the longevity of the platform, but it canā€™t be the only consideration. It comes at the expense of making things much more complicated from the user side, and especially for new business users that require at least some price certainty. Better price correlation but fewer users doesnā€™t really get you anywhere.

Adapt or leave? Thatā€™s a bit of an odd response (with apparent support from the CEO) to a thread that asks for feedback on a new pricing system. I get that not all feedback is good, but I thought that was the point. If you simply wanted kudos, you should have asked for that instead.

If itā€™s a computed column, such as an IF column, itā€™s not counting anything. Computed columns donā€™t change data, so there is nothing to sync. If itā€™s a new basic column, then itā€™s still only one sync to the google sheet. A sync is the sync of the entire table. Not each individual row. Same with airtable, except that currently airtable is unique because it does not send data to glide, so glide has to request data every few minutes while an app is active.

That largely depends on if your integration is updating the google sheet directly, or updating through glide using Glideā€™s API.

Iā€™d love to learn more about this scenarioā€“if itā€™s common, maybe we can give a good answer and even support it explicitly within Glide.

Hereā€™s how you can think about Syncs: every time you edit the data in your Google Sheet, Airtable Base, or Excel file, you can expect Glide to sync the changes and count that as one sync. To know exactly how this will work in practice with your particular automation setup, the only real option is to try it. Then you can decide whether you think the number of syncs required by your use case is appropriate for your use of Glide. Remember, itā€™s your decision whether you want to buy more updates than are included with your plan. This is partly why we include a bunch of updates to start, then make you decide whether to use more.

One example of why itā€™s hard to say ahead of time without much more detail about your specific use case: Google Sheets notifies us of changes a maximum of once every three minutes, so if your Integromat automation makes many changes within three minutes, that will usually be just one or two syncs (it could generate one sync immediately for the first change, then one for the remainder in the following three minutes).

Weā€™ll also publish instructions for how you can minimize your updates.

FYI, this is how real software is priced, when you actually create it as a developer. You pay based on the resources you useā€“milliseconds of CPU time, bytes of storage, bytes of bandwidth, image transformation, build time, API use, etc. You can never know these things with much accuracy ahead of time, so you generally build, evaluate, lower usage where you need to, and pay as long as you think the service is worthwhile. We are selling unlimited software creation, hosting, and useā€“itā€™s impossible to say ahead of time how much this costs, and always depends on the specific details of your use cases.

We donā€™t want to expose all of this complexity because weā€™re building Glide for non-technical users, but we do think usage-based pricing is ultimately the fairest.

Also, right now Glide is counting way too many syncs, but next week youā€™ll see this number drop by about 90% in most cases.

9 Likes

90% ??? how are you gonna do that?

By not counting syncs when no data is changed.

2 Likes

Hmmā€¦ so you will run the index all the time?

I donā€™t know what you mean.

you have to know if the data were changedā€¦ soā€¦ how? you need to compareā€¦ thatā€™s a lot of procesing

Yes, it is. You should see our credit card bill :wink:

2 Likes

so how you will know if data was changed?

Glide knows the last data it was sent from Google Sheets, for example. When you change your Google Sheet, Google notifies us of the updates and we load the new data.

ohhhā€¦ i seeā€¦ google is doing processingā€¦ and they wonā€™t count that as service?

They do count it, and we pay for it, and weā€™re not going to make you pay for it. See how nice we are?

4 Likes

hahaahahahahā€¦ Yesssā€¦ I have 500000 a day from google LOLā€¦
anywayā€¦ that would be great if these syncs can dropā€¦ i finished my quotas for the Starter plan in 11 daysā€¦ just by working on my app

We also wonā€™t count updates adds & edits generated while working on your app. (Edit: syncs are a bit hard to distinguish)

5 Likes

Hereā€™s a question for the team.

If you want basic pricing at nine dollars a month, I would surely jump on it now.

Iā€™m told that if you continue to see that type of pricing in your current team folder, it will probably be there indefinitely unless you downgrade all apps in that team folder to Free. At that point, youā€™ll switch over to the new pricing plan for that team folder. To prevent that, one of the apps inside of that team folder must still have one of the legacy pricing.

Basic is a good deal for what you needā€¦ have your board game friends chip in a few bucks to help pay for the app. :wink:

1 Like