Navigation between records - possible?

Is it possible to somehow let the user navigate between records.

For Instance: I have an app that has “posts” that are tied to dates. (Kinda like a daily blog)

Is it possible for the user to “go to the next record” without navigating back out to the list?

Suggestion: maybe a button that will take the user to the NEXT day? (or even the previous day??

My trial app: https://vyqrm.glideapp.io

2 Likes

You could maybe structure your sheet with 2 extra columns. One for previous date and one for next date. As long as your sheet is sorted by date, then you could use some sort of formula to fill the Previous and Next columns by offsetting the result you put in the column. For example if the date column is D, the Previous column is E and the Next column is F, on row 3 you would fill the Previous cell with D2 and the Next cell with D4. This would allow you too create relation columns that link the Previous and Next columns to the Date column in the same sheet. Then you can create a Previous inline list and a Next inline list. Buttons would be ideal, but I don’t think they allow you to use a relation on them.

Maybe you could get creative by filling the detail and caption part of the list with empty rows to get the list image on the right side, the use some sort of left and right arrow image to make it appear like a button, or use the tiles style for the lists to get a button look.

2 Likes

OK @Jeff_Hager - working on and off all day (with my limited knowledge on relations…

Here is what I came up with. Take a look at this concept.

https://u2wsb.glideapp.io

Still not sure what you mean about the empty rows…

Thoughts?? suggestions??

1 Like

Sorry, my mistake. I should have said empty columns instead of rows. Since you have Title and Details filled on the list, what I meant was to create an empty column to use for the Caption of the list. Or you could fill the Title, Detail and Caption with empty columns, so you would only see the image. Filling the Caption with something will move the images to the right side of the screen and the little right arrows goes away for a little cleaner look. What you have looks great! It’s awesome to see it working. I suppose if you had other tabs, then you could double tap the tab to reset the view back to the list, but it’s obviously a concept app! Nice work!

Just added a “back to home” button that take me back to the home screen.

Nice! Maybe try using Tiles layout. A two tile width might give you a nice side by side button look.

How do I get JUST the two buttons to show up?

I get the whole list and cannot filter it to just the first and last buttons

You said:

Also, not sure I understand this. This is the way it behaves in the List, but it does not seem to act that way on the “relation”

Ok, I made a copy and I’m playing with it. I guess tiles won’t work side by side since they are separate lists. If you change the relations to multiple, that allows you to use an inline list, which gives you the caption option. Unfortunately inline lists have a horizontal line between list items, so it kind of looks bad. I wish we could turn that line on or off. Here’s a couple examples of what I’m thinking. This is after selecting Multiple in the relation. The Previous button is an Inline List with Title, Detail, and Caption filled. The Next button is an inline list in compact view.

@Jeff_Hager - I know this is an older post - but did something today that made me think of this … thought you may want to see something similar I did (on a much SMALLER scale)

In this app, on the front page … scroll all the way down to the bottom
https://ktle5.glideapp.io

You may remember (see below) that The front page is always ZERO day, so yesterday is -1 and tomorrow is +1

So I did a tiles and filtered all days OUT but -1 and +1

So it gives me two little navigation buttons to go backward and forward ONE day.
(In this particular app, I do not want the user to go more than one day back and forward, so that is where I stopped the buttons.)

and it sorta goes along with our discussion on this post

1 Like

Hmm, that gets my wheels turning. I’m trying to think of a way to apply this method to any list. Maybe two columns set up as an array column with one column showing the prior record id, the second column showing the next record id. Then creating a relation off of that array column. Not very far off from what we set up with before. Just a single relation instead of two. I may have to try to come up with a demo in the concepts app.

1 Like

Hi Jeff - Curious if you made any progress on this. I’m trying to build the same sort of thing - including a “next” button when looking at one item from a list so that you can go to the next item in the list, without having to navigate back to the full list.

Yes, I have a Paging example in https://concepts.glideapp.io/.

2 Likes

Thanks Jeff! This is really good. Much appreciated - and I’ll check out what else you have in the concepts app…

One follow-up question: Clicking on the tiles basically “drills into” the app each time you use a button to go to the next list item. Which means going back to the full list (when done) requires you to press on “back” a large number of times. Did you design another way to get back into the main app functionality?

@mattbrowning - Do you do navigation between items in a list the same way, or do you have another way to do it?

Yeah, I think the paging works best if you have tabs showing in the app. You can just double tap on a tab to get back to the top level.

Do you think that you use this method to show “previous” and “next” instead of the item names. The “previous” and “next” could appear as images in place of the background image, or as text on some type of background.

This is great work guys, :+1:t4: going to add this as a technique in docs.

1 Like

I don’t know of a way to show previous or next. Both button tiles are pointing to the same columns to get the text or images, and there isn’t a way to tell an inline list to use one set of column values for the “previous” and a second set of columns for the “next”. If you have any ideas, feel free to let me know.

I’m currently working on an app for my family reunion this summer. I’ve built in a photo gallery with previous/next buttons, but instead of text, I just show the previous and next image in the tile “buttons”. It’s a little more hacked together, because I also have faked out first and last rows with just a white image and that gives all components when you get to the beginning it end of the gallery. I also am creating a relation from the record to itself to show the main image in a tile instead of an image component. This is so all issues have a consistent width and height be screen. This makes it easier to page without having to scroll. The buttons are always in the same position on the screen. Maybe at some point I’ll throw together a more advanced photo gallery / paging example in Concepts.

Thanks for the help Jeff. With your help, I was able to meet the client’s expectations.

The app I’m building now has 2 buttons (previous, next) with generic names (“previous exercise”, “next exercise”), as well as a way to have the next button cycle from the last item cycle back to the first item. Also, I added a button that says “Workout complete” with conditional formatting so that it only appears for the final item in the list.

I’ll include screenshots later today.

1 Like