App sometimes fails completely to load

About 10-20% of the time when I click my app’s icon on my phone all that I get is a white screen – the app simply never comes up. When this happens, it keeps happening for at least several minutes.

At the same time, I can browse to the url on my iPhone’s Safari or Chrome browser and the page loads fine.
It happens more often when I am away from wifi but still happens when I have very high bandwidth.

Might anybody know what the issue is? I see it as a complete fail from the user’s perspective and would very much like to resolve it.

Thanks

8 Likes

Happens to me a lot too… after force closing it, it usually opens up after the 2nd or 3rd try. However, it shouldn’t need to be force closed to work properly…

2 Likes

This happens to our app as well, MaricopaHealthy.com. Our load screen is very lightweight with fully optimized images, etc. I appreciate you posting this issue.

Cc: @Natalie_Fruciano

1 Like

This has been happening (off and on) for quite a while, and there are several related “Bug” topics.
Hopefully it’s something that the Glide team will get to the bottom of.

3 Likes

This has returned as a horrible issue for my app when running on my iPhone (Safari or Chrome). Instead of the app loading, no matter how long I wait all I see is a blank white screen (sometimes ‘made with glide’ appears for a moment before going blank white, sometimes not). It does load on my laptop at the same time.

This is potentially extremely costly for me, as first-time users expect better and may never come back. I consider this the worst possible bug, literally (you can’t even get in to see other bugs!), awful enough to abandon Glide for another platform if it’s not fixed soon. I hope it’s obvious that’s how crucial this is.

A large number of companies that provide web-based services provide guarantees up-times in their contracts, usually 99.9% or better. I figure Glide doesn’t offer up time guarantees (yet?), but Glide is coming nowhere near the industry standard.

2 Likes

@mark are you getting closer to solving this serious bug. It keeps happening

Update that may help debugging:
After 30 minutes, Chrome on iPhone started to load.
After 60 minutes, Safari still is white page only, despite restarting device.
On Safari, the Glide landing page to enter email and get a PIN comes up.
After entering the PIN the browser seems to think the page has loaded, but only the white screen shows.

Hi @Jason_Fisher Hopefully the issues can be resolved quickly for you. May I ask if you’re using Google sheets or Glide tables for your database?

I am using a combination of both Google Sheets and Glide tables.

1 Like

I am currently seeing this bug. On my iPhone, the app/site does load directly via Chrome and via Safari.
However, if I use ‘add to home screen’ then use that home screen icon, I get only a white screen and a spinning/loading icon up top.

To test, I deleted the icon, loaded the app via Safari and added to home screen again. Again it fails to load using the icon on the home screen, but does load using Safari.

I hope this distinction is useful in resolving this bug.

1 Like

Hi @Jason_Fisher did issue ever get resolved? I am seeing the same issue with my app.

Happens to me a lot, too. Then I have to close out the app, and open it up again.

3 Likes

I’m getting a white screen when opening the app. The app worked for about a year and now only loads periodically. I’ve cleared the cache, reloaded and still nothing. Both the app and browser, safari and chrome. What else can I try.

Can you share a link so we can test?

I’d rather not because it contains customer information.

What causes this? It works on my phone now when using a browser but not on the app link I saved to the home screen.

Topher Fearey

C: 781.579.9696

O: 781.716.4241

My suggestion would be to delete your saved link and re-install it from your browser.

I’ve deleted the bookmark, gone to the safari instance, resaved the bookmark, logged in with a new pin and still turns white after starting to load. The safari instance still works. Any other thoughts? Thanks for the idea though.

My Apps used to load quickly and efficiently. They now fail to load about 70% of the time but usually load on the second attempt. When apps do load it is really slow. In fact loading is too slow for effective use. GlideApps has been brilliant, a great development tool. Whilst I appreciate the enhancements made over the years I would rather go back to a simpler version that provided a better user experience. My Apps use Google Sheets for source data.

@Malcolm Are you still experiencing this issue? If so, when you do, what is the internet connection speed of the device you’re trying to open the app on?

Hi, thank you for taking an interest. I’m running at 2.74 mbps. I experience the issue on Desktop PC, iPad & iPhone.