"Add to home screen button" not popping up

Same result here. Must be a bug.

Using Chrome on Android, I’m seeing the notification to Add to Home Screen appearing. When clicked, however, the Glide icon never appears. If I then try to manually go into the Chrome menu and select Add to Home Screen, it tells me it is still adding previous site. But nothing ever appears.

I’d try restarting your phone to see if that makes a difference. Seems unusual, especially if you are getting the popup. Do you have a link to your app?

Hi, I’m having a similar issue with my app. Link: https://6-9mahw.glideapp.io

Previously, the app had only 1 tab and the option to add to home screen popped up and worked fine (Chrome on Android). After adding 2 more tabs to the app, the option does not appear anymore and is also not shown when I tap to expand the menu options in Chrome.
Note: The original tab has row owners but the 2 newly added tabs do not

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Edit: Just tried it on Safari for iPad and it works fine

Glad to know I’m not the only one. After additional testing last Friday, I found that the button would pop up on the home screen but it involved the phone staying on the web page-opened version of the app and the screen staying on for 1 minute. Timed it multiple times and it always took a minute on Androids and only 5-6 seconds on iOS.

Went back to test it today and now it downloads to the home screen on Androids in 5-6 seconds. Haven’t changed anything with the app since Friday.

Add to Homescreen popped up for me. (Android - Moto G6)

Thanks for the feedback.

I’m still having problems with it though (Android OnePlus 7 Pro). At least it works fine on my iPad with Safari. I’ll probably get some colleagues to test it out for me.

Yeah, have some other people try. I get both the popup and the option in the menu.

I tried the suggested solution but still did not get the “Add to home screen button”. Not sure if this is a bug or phone related. All-in-all, Not sure if this is a practical solution as there is no way to predict user actions.

@Aj2666 Do you have a link to try? From all the reading I’ve done in the past, I’ve either read about or seen issues when people either using an incompatible browser, initially dismissing the popup and forget they had done it, change their app url, have no tabs displayed, or don’t wait long enough. I’ve never noticed an issue with other people’s apps or my own, but I’m also not looking that closely either. I usually open the app and dismiss the popup right away for other peoples apps. The only weird issue I’ve experienced was @kyleheney’s issue where his app wasn’t being recognized as a PWA until he added a second tab.

This installation issue has been causing me problems all week. In my case, users are hitting my link from Facebook so it adds another layer of complexity due to the FB browser. This not only impacts installation but in some cases it is breaking the sign-up process for my users.

I considered developing a custom landing page that detects the OS / Browser the delivers a personalized installation experience but I was quoted $1K+ on up-work. (Glide should tackle this).

Next, I hacked together a “text me a link” landing page with an option that explains how to do it manually. The flow became convoluted and turned people off. (To make matters worse, on FB / iOS, the first time you hit a link it stays in the FB browser and the second time you hit a link it opens safari!)

Now I am left with two choices… Point people directly to my app where some of them will not be able to install it or sign in. Or point people to my landing people where some people will bail before even trying to install my app.

I think Glide is targeting the enterprise where companies have a pre-existing relationship with users for support or outright require that people use the software that they build. Not the case a consumer app like mine.

I’m having this issue again on a new app I made today. It’s almost entirely in Glide Tables, but I don’t know if that’s the issue.

Can someone try accessing the link below and see if you’re able to Add to Homescreen (and/or Install App). I am on Android and neither option are showing for me (in Chrome).

Note: if you sign in, emails are hidden and kept anonymous.

Edit: link removed from original post.

1 Like

Thanks for trying @david! Do you have an Android device to try it on? I’m not getting the usual banner, nor the option to Install the App in the menu of Chrome. There is the “Add to Homescreen” option in Chrome’s menu on Android, but that’s just the shortcut to the web link, not the install option.

Didn’t work for me. Android here. Same as you I didn’t get a pop-up and adding to home screen through the menu adds a web shortcut instead of an installed PWA shortcut.

I’ve seen this sporadically. Not sure if it’s oddly somehow tied to the number of tabs or the side menu. I haven’t recognized a pattern yet.

1 Like

Thanks for trying @Jeff_Hager. I remember the issue originally and how we worked through it. At that time, I was able to bring it back by adding more tabs to either the menu or the main tabs. I tried that again this time and nothing is bringing it back, so I think something else is off and preventing it from being seen on Android as a PWA.

1 Like

First time poster here, hi :wave:!

I’ll start off by saying that I’ve been following and building with Glide since last year. And I have to say, both the platform, and its Community are amazing.

I’ve learnt so much from you guys :weary:

I Hate that my first post isn’t totally positive. I’m facing the same issue on one of my apps. It was working fine, but now, downloading it only downloads the link (iPhone > Safari). Haven’t tried it today on Android, though.

The screenshot below shows the second time I downloaded it after deleting it to try again. The icon has now disappeared

When I tap on the icon, the app opens and seems to work normally :woman_shrugging: I have 2 other apps that are fine (so far.)

1 Like

The same problem in my app, that I published today. When I click " Add to Home screen" in Chrome (Andoid 9) I get the link on the homescreen, but not installing the app. By the way, previous my app (similar to current, on the same device) I installed fine 1 month ago.

@david I’m still having the issue on Android (and Chrome in my PC’s web browser). Looking at the dev tools, I can see the following errors. My app is currently only a Personal one as I’m still developing it, so I don’t think I can send a link to Glide Support until I upgrade it to Pro (expected to do so later on). Is there anything that can be done to look at this error that is preventing the Add to Homescreen function on Android?

1 Like

This should be fixed tomorrow.

3 Likes