šŸ†• Actions! āš”āš”āš”

Also works for me, and itā€™s a global value.

Yes, in fact there is an example I talked about in this post. I was originally incrementing a user-specifc column, and then switched to a global value. In both cases the incrementing was working fine.

1 Like

Thanks, OK, Iā€™ll do some further testing to see if itā€™s working for my users now

I wrote to glide support and they solve the problem for me.

I got the same error. Did you manage to figure out what the problem is?

Hi Andrey .Iā€™ve not tested this anymore. Since this is still in beta I expect this to be fixed along the way.

Honest questionā€¦ are Actions known to be buggy? I ask because Iā€™ve created a few that I consider to be fairly simple (clear columns in a couple different sheets, go back, etc), and they work sometimes and sometimes donā€™t. Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s the fact that there are multiple action components firing that are hitting multiple sheets, but the results are very inconsistent.

Is this a common experience?

3 Likes

Can you please share a screenshot of a buggy action? And what is the buggy behavior?

One thing that we see a lot of, that we didnā€™t anticipate, is interleaving row updates with navigation (e.g. Go Back, Set a Value, Go Back, Go Back, Set a Value).

3 Likes

The buggy actions that Iā€™m seeing are a combination of ā€œset column in this sheet to clear some valuesā€ ; ā€œset column in that sheet to update a user profile (through a relation)ā€ , ā€œlink to screen to show the submission informationā€.

Iā€™ve tried to rearrange the actions and sometimes it seems to help, but itā€™s hit or miss. I can understand some things needing to be done first, but clearing values shouldnā€™t need a specific order unless theyā€™re passing to other screens first.

The frustrating thing is that Iā€™ll make an action, try it and it will workā€¦ Then Iā€™ll go try it again and it doesnā€™t fully execute (seems to ignore parts of it and only clears certain columns, not all the ones in the action). This behaviour makes the action unreliable when Iā€™m trying to make it part of a ā€œrequiredā€ process.

Hereā€™s a support link to my app: https://go.glideapps.com/support/c7f90b98-4c7f-4947-ba07-dc108f4959ad

2 Likes

@david Increment + Set Columns + Navigate to Tab + Show Notification +Play Sound does not work. It doesnā€™t do anything except show notification and play sound.

Also, are you guys planning on making the ā€˜Go Backā€™ action on edit and form screens to just close the screen? Instead of doingā€¦ nothing? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

It definitely seems like multi-level Actions have issues. I found an error in one of mine (was trying to clear a column thatā€™s being generated from another valueā€¦ so clearing it does nothing because it pops back up), but even after fixing that, Iā€™m having similar experiences as @Pablo_books where an action with more than one step only seems to work some of the time. Under the right circumstances, these Actions DO work sometimes (I.e. app is first opened and I donā€™t do things too quickly in the app itself), but itā€™s very inconsistent.

Realllllly want Actions to be solid! I want to rely on them, but right now I donā€™t feel like I can.

3 Likes

Same here, Itā€™s hard to rely on something that only works half of the time. Iā€™d feel better if there was a definite date to when certain problems wil be fixedā€¦ @david?

On a positive note, made a really cool action that adds row (which already and automatically has a relation applied to it via user email) and then link to screen -> relation. Basically letā€™s you create a record and navigate to that record upon creation.

6 Likes

This reminds me, did you know that Excel is adding a LAMBDA function. You can now use it to create your own functions in Excel! Thats gonna be fun. The reason I mention this is if anyone has to import data from excel these LAMBDA functions can be set to setup your data before you import it.

3 Likes

This is exactly what one of my Actions is set up to do. Unfortunately, I need to combine it with a Clear column action and that seems to end up giving me mixed results overall (sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnā€™t). Iā€™m going to look at it again tomorrow and try to change my processes so that my Actions are only one level deep. Those all seem to work well, so I think I can do some redesigning to get my new template finished.

1 Like

If your still having issues with Glide actions you should visit my scripts page. I have scripts on there for this exact issue. they can clear columns or rows whenever you submit a form.

1 Like

Does ā€œSet Columnā€ work with user-specific columns or not? I know there was an issue clearing user-specific values, but Iā€™m also having issues setting a user-specific column to an actual value.

It works, yes.

Thanks. Iā€™ll review my Actions to make sure everything is configured properly.

In general, the actions Iā€™ve created seem to be working really well including multi-step actions. The problem Iā€™m facing is that periodically the ā€œlink to screenā€ will automatically change sheet, making me have to re-create it. Is this something anyone else has encountered?

1 Like