Custom Edit on Certain Column Changes

Hi all,

Here I am again with new question everyday. :slight_smile:

Can I know, is there any ways to make custom action on certain column or else none.
Eg : I have column Quotation Number, Model, Status and other.
I need to add row, set column etc WHEN there’s a changes/edits on Model but only show notification WHEN there’s a changes on Status column.

I’m sure what you want to do is possible, but it’s very difficult to understand from the way you’ve described it. Maybe if you add a screen shot or two it might be a bit clearer?

Currently, when I make it any changes or edit, the new row is added.
But I don’t want it to add new row when make changes on status (as per picture below).
Otherwise, add new row.

It was like I have to put at condition (as per picture below) “When changes not at Status”

Okay, I think I understand.

So, how about if you remove the Status choice from the edit screen?
And then instead, provide a “Change Status” button on your view details screen.
This button would do a Link to Screen → This Item action.
On the next screen you add your status choice and a Submit button.
The Submit button would do a Set Columns action to change the status on the current row.

Note: You’ll probably need a User Specific Column to use as the target for your Status choice component. Then the Set Columns action will take the value of that column and use it to update the Status column.

Daren,

Quit near to the result but i’m not really clear why I need a User Specific Column as you wrote in Note section.

The User Specific Column is just used for temporary storage of the selection from the Status Choice component. That component needs a target column to write a value to.

But what if I am not using the User Specific Column?
Its like works as well.
Is there any problem later on?

To be honest, I’m not exactly sure. I think there is a danger it could overwrite an existing value.
I just always do it this way, as it “feels” safer.

This is where I’m approaching the limits of my understanding of Glide, so I’d defer to the master (@Jeff_Hager) for a better explanation.

Ok, thank you very much . I really want to know why.
But as for now, the result that I need is exact!
You deserve this Daren! :trophy:

1 Like

In this case, if you want to set the status directly, then there is no need for the temporary user specific columns or the submit button. It’s one column, so it probably doesn’t make much of a difference. Changing the status will update the sheet immediately without having to click on any buttons to submit.

The only reason I’d use a user specific column to temporarily hold the status choice, is to offer the chance for the user to cancel or back out of making any changes.

Screens like the Add, Edit, or Form screen already temporarily hold any values you put into your components, and they give you the choice to submit or cancel. Entry components on a Detail/View screen make changes to the sheet in real time so there is no opportunity to cancel any changes if you have second thoughts.

Imagine you are editing a row in Details/View mode and you had 10 fields to update. You get through updating all of them and you decide you don’t want to make those changes. On a Detail/View screen, it’s too late. You already updated the sheet.

Instead, it’s better to have temporary user specific columns. In place of a link to screen action, you would use a custom action to first preload the temporary user specific columns with the data in the permanent columns. Then you can link to screen. Once the user is on the screen, they can make all of their changes to the the user specific columns. Once they are done, they can back out to cancel their changes, or click on a submit button to take all of those temporary values in user specific columns, and write them to the permanent columns. It just gives the user a chance to change their mind about making any changes without ruining any existing data.

4 Likes

Wonderful!
There is barely a day that goes by where I don’t learn something from you.
Thank you! :bowing_man:

2 Likes