User logins appear randomly on other parts of the app?

Just saw this today actually! I think it’s related to the new User Profile feature that seems to default to the first sheet.

1 Like

Interesting - haven’t seen any user profile features, will have a hunt around.

You found a workaround for it at all?

Thanks!

Yup seems like a bug. The way I fixed it was to create a Users sheet and give it 3 columns (User, Name and Image). Change the User Profile sheet and assigned values (click menu, then the Sign in button in the Glide Editor). Set the sheet to the new Users sheet.

If you already have a sheet that collects user information, just point to that sheet.

2 Likes

Think I’ve found it! Clicking on the User Profile tab & then layout means that the default is there. Do we create a new sheet for User Profiles, or will one be autogenerated in future?

For now just create a sheet so the data has some place to go.

@kyleheney. Thanks for the advice. Per your suggestion, I created a new user login sheet with 3 columns for user, name, and image. Unfortunately this unlinked all the user information I collected on my original sheet. Can you elaborate how you can “point to that sheet” so it will recognize the data again?

If I read it right, you can just copy the old collected data to the new sheet, then it will display the old profiles right. New entries will be written to the new user profile sheet.

Couldn’t you just point the user profiles feature to the existing sheet? Do you not want to use it? Then you could just remove the sheet under user profiles. Most bugs have been fixed, so you shouldn’t be having a problem if it’s set up correctly.

https://docs.glideapps.com/all/reference/privacy-and-per-user-data/user-profiles

1 Like

ok. I copied the entire sheet (called “Users profile”, where data are used for visibility display filter) into the new user login sheet (called “Login list”, dummy sheet for use login email placeholder) and pointed the User Profile setting to point to the Login list. Unfortunately that did not resolve the problem. I’m still getting a bunch of form buttons being displayed because it doesn’t recognize the Visibility filter that was previously set with the original “Users profile” sheet. However if I change the User Profile setting to point back to the original “Users profile” sheet, all my Visibility filter works and only the correct form button is displayed. Am I missing a step somewhere here?

You haven’t really described the original problem you are having.

1 Like

Sorry about that. My original problem is what @DanielW described where I get an email address being inserted into my Users profile sheet where I keep records of my client info (paid status, address, phone, membership status, etc.). To keep this sheet clean, I don’t want email address being inserted into it when user logs in. This Users profile sheet is used to display account information that is specific to the member that logs in. So depending on which member logs in, I show different forms based on the Visibility settings. Based on what I have, everything works fine except when a new user log into the app, their email is inserted into my Users profile sheet which I don’t want. So hence the need to create a new sheet where it can hold the user login email to avoid unwanted data inserted in my Users profile record sheet but I still link the Visibility settings I’ve created based on user login/status. Hope that is clear.

Like I said, you can unlink all sheets from user profiles, but I believe you won’t have access to the user profile anywhere else in the app. You would then have to create relations in all other sheets to get access to the user profile sheet. It sounds like you want to use user profiles, but not have it write new emails to the sheet? I would suggest letting it write the email, change your visibility conditions to look at a different user profile column that is only filled when they complete their profile, then instead of a form button to complete the profile, change it to a link to screen button and filter the screen that it takes you to by signed in user. Then the user can simply update the row with the rest of their profile information instead of writing a new row via the form button.

Thanks @Jeff_Hager. You summarized it perfectly with “It sounds like you want to use user profiles, but not have it write new emails to the sheet”. Do you have/know of an example app that is using the workaround that you mentioned? I’d like to see what that looks like before I change all my visibility conditions (there are about 10 I’d need to change…)

I don’t have a shareable app, but it’s a pretty simple concept, even to temporarily try in your app or in a copy of your app. Basically you turn on User Profiles, so glide will automatically write the email to the user profile sheet. Then instead of a form button to write a new profile record, you somehow display the record that was created, whether it’s link to screen button to the user profile sheet or another tab that points to your user profile sheet. There’s not much to it really, and from there they can edit the existing record. If you want to hide the link to screen button after they have finished their profile, then you simply put a condition on the button when a certain field (such as name) is not empty. Or you can create an if/then column that will look at several columns and only return true if all are not empty. This would then be accessible from the user profiles for visibility. Or you can simply set required on all necessary fields for a completed profile and still only look at name, because if the name is filled, the rest are filled.

1 Like

Thank you again Jeff. Will definitely try this out.

1 Like

Hi, I managed to get this ok. But I notice when you do this way, you have no way to make certain text entry a requirement…this means that certain items I would like the user to fill-in. Using the form button we can control this.
Appreciate if there is a way to ensure user key in using this link to screen method.
Thank you.

Then I would show the user profile in view mode and make them click on the edit pencil to edit their profile. There you can set fields as required.

Now I am a bit confused.
The reason I dropped the form is because login email keep writing onto the User profile. Now using the link to screen option as recommended for User to fill the rest of the fields such as photo, handphone and so on.

How do we go to User Profile in View mode?
If we go there, won’t the View Mode also have empty fields as User have not fill up yet.

Always appreciated your reply. I am actually re-doing my APP now. Thanks

You can keep using the link to screen, but instead of putting entry fields on that screen, just use text components to display the info you have, then enable editing for that profile record. Then the user will have to click on the pencil icon at the top right of the screen to edit their profile. In the edit screen you can set components to be required.

arrhhh…great…thank you. I will try this way.

1 Like