šŸŒŖ Use Multiple Choice Components to Filter an Inline List

So when you add new items, the native filter doesnā€™t seem to ā€œregisterā€ it?

Yeah, exactly. The first filter works great and then when I try to add more they seem to not play well together for some reason and the new column category either shows everything as true or nothing as true and wonā€™t filter when I choose different things from the search page within the app.

Can you record a video of the behaviour for us?

I was JUST going to see if I could do that. Let me record trying to add another filter and Iā€™ll post it shortly. Thanks!

Ok ok ok, @ThinhDinh ! Seems like you fixed it by asking to see it in action. I donā€™t know what happened but now it seems to be working the way itā€™s supposed to. The only difference is that Iā€™m now working on my laptop at home so maybe I was being cosmically punished for doodling around with my app while at workā€¦ :grimacing: Both computers are macs though so Iā€™m not sure what was happening but maybe some sort of glitch in updating the filters I was adding.

Now that thatā€™s not an issue any more, Iā€™d still love to see what @Robert_Petitto did for the number range filters. So curious.

You guys are awesome, I hope to be as helpful as you soon enough :smiley:

2 Likes

So happy with this simple trick to solve the screen filtering pitfalls. I never used the extra true column before.

Thank you !

Hey @Robert_Petitto, thanks for the great tutorial! This helped a bunch, but I had a question. I have about 30 filters right now (all using the method shown in this video) for almost 5000 rows, and things seem to be running a little slower than normal (i.e. 10 second delay to load a list). Do you have any recommendations on how to speed things up/make it more efficient for sorting larger lists? Thanks! :smiley:

Always use Row Owners wherever it makes sense and is practical, as this will greatly reduce the amount of data that is downloaded to each users device.

Okay Iā€™ll give that a shot, thanks!

Whatā€™s the best way to go about doing this? Are row owners possible in an app that that is public? Right now Iā€™m using this with ā€œuser specificā€ columns.

You need to be using one of the email sign-in methods. Read more here

But it sounds like Row Owners might not be applicable in your case.

@Robert_Petitto Love this tutorial - thank you! Iā€™m trying to follow along with the video but, for some reason, my user specific text columns donā€™t appear in the Data column but they do when they ARENā€™T user specific. Any idea why that might be? Thanks in advance!!

Hello,
what a great solution to filter!
Is there a solution to sort in alpabetic order the different choices of the single column?

Thatā€™s Bizarreā€¦did you ever get this figured out?

You should be able to apply a sort to the choice component, yes.

I didnā€™t, no. I tried manipulating it in all kinds of ways without success. Iā€™m wondering: I have the list / choice component populating in a form, as a popup-style selector (for lack of a better description) for the user to open on the flyā€¦ could the form be causing the issue??

If you are attempting to set user specific columns within a form, that might be the source of the problem. User Specific columns are meant to be manipulated by multiple users while editing an existing row. In a form, you are always writing a new row, so it most (not necessarily all) cases, there is no point in trying to write to a user specific column from a form because it is writing a new row. After that row is written, then it would make sense to use user specific columns to change a column value thatā€™s specific to only them.

1 Like

Thanks @Jeff_Hager - thatā€™s what I figured. So, the intent of the popup is to give the end user a quick reference to populate a specific value based on the two choice selections. Since the form isnā€™t actually going to be submitted (and the option to submit it wonā€™t be given), the Data column doesnā€™t necessarily matter since it wonā€™t be overwrittenā€¦ am I understanding that correctly or am I off big time?

I probably wouldnā€™t use a form unless Iā€™m actually going to submit something. A form becomes semi disconnected from the sheet because itā€™s not attached to any particular row.

I would probably use a button with a link to screen ā€˜This Itemā€™ action to open up a new screen. It will still be attached to the same row, but you could build it to populate your user specific columns and get it to show the results you want.

If you have any screenshots of what you are trying to do, then it might make more sense to me what you are attempting to do.

2 Likes

Iā€™m building a policy and protocol app for our EMS system (paramedics and EMTs in the field) and, in them, are specific protocols for different types of patient complaints and conditions. The protocols house the standard orders for both adults and pediatric patients but, in the current layout, thereā€™s no real option to include the orders for the kids. Almost all of the medications that they are administered are weight based and to include all of them would take up WAAAAAY too much screen space - hence the need for the dynamic filtering that @Robert_Petitto engineered.

I was just trying to use a form on button press (the baby icon) to populate the filtering:

But I donā€™t actually need it to write the results, I just need it to display them. Once they get the info that they need, the end user backs out of it and goes about their business:

The user is in the protocol, pushes the button, and a screen pops up where they can dynamically filter through all of the medications first, then even further based on the weight, then it will display the correct dose.

Iā€™m not married to the form, I just thought it would be easier to use. I should use link to new screen? And I wonā€™t need to worry about it writing to the sheet / table?

1 Like

Trying to follow along with your app, so bare with me if Iā€™m off.

But, if you use a Link to Screen, itā€™s still connected to a row and the Type choice component will write a value to the sheet. If you are writing it to a user specific column, it will be a saved value thatā€™s unique for each user. I guess Iā€™m not entirely clear if you are bringing in any of those values from the second screen into the first screen. Base on your description, Iā€™m assuming you are not and you are only using it as a reference. I would still let it write to user specific column when you make your choices in that second screen. Then you can set up your floating button to use a custom action to first clear those user specific columns before the link to screen action. So that way it will always be a fresh start every time they click on the floating button.