Recover lost forms

I spent a full day building out several forms, then I decided it makes sense for them all to send their data to the same tab. I deleted all the no longer needed tabs and spent an hour formatting the master destination tab before going back into glide to point the forms to the proper destination only to find all the forms are gone. Is there anyway to recover them? If not is there any way to save forms for future use.

1 Like

No, because your forms are tied to Sheets columns, when you restructured them, the connection is gone as Glide can’t find the column to write to anymore.

A way to prevent this is create the new sheet first, duplicate one of the buttons and link them to the new sheet with proper structure, then delete the old sheets.

1 Like

I lost a form in a different manner.

1. I created a form based on an Inline List > ACTION > “Show Form Screen” title Enter Time.
  2. I was perfectly happy with the form and it worked great adding records to the DESTINATION > Sheet.
  3. Then I realized I wanted to use the same form as a Form Button in the Detail Screen.
  4. I looked to see if there was a way to copy the form or save it as a template and found this Feature Request in which all of the links seem to be broken so it wasn’t much help.
  5. I took a stab and tried changing the Inline List > ACTION > to “Show Detail Screen” then added a form button to that screen but couldn’t find a way to pull up the original form I had created in the prior steps.
  6. So I changed the Inline List > ACTION > back to “Show Form Screen” title Enter Time and my original form was gone.

Is there a way to recover that original form or do I need to rebuild it? Unless I’m missing something I would like to be able to save Forms for re-use elsewhere.

1 Like

The most straightforward way is right click > copy all elements > paste it to the new form screen.

I doubt you would be able to recover the original one. You lost it at step 5 when you change the inline list action.

2 Likes

mmm, I think the only way to create re-usable form screens is with custom forms. ie. Detail Screen on top of a helper table.

2 Likes

If you haven’t gotten too far, sometimes the Undo button will get you back to where you were.

1 Like

Is there any way to tell what steps you are undoing? I had a trouble working out how far I’d gone back.

No, there’s no indication. I’m not sure but it might only undo changes on the particular screen you are viewing. Other than that, it’s just sequential. It undoes changes starting with the last change and going backwards.

2 Likes

It might undo changes on other views (such as Data while you’re looking at Layout). That’s what it seemed to be doing for me but I lost track of where I was and could not confirm where I got to.

Edit: turns out it does perform undo on some views that are not active. I tested using the Custom Action view where undo seems to have no effect (cancel works of course). Edits in the inactive Layout View were undone on Ctrl-z.

2 Likes