šŸ†• Please try the new Glide builder

:exploding_head::nerd_face::ok_hand:t2:

1 Like

You can also Ctrl or Command click to not open the right click menu and get the same effect.

1 Like

Yep, but I almost donā€™t use it. I tried but I prefer right click

1 Like

Some of us are stubborn and stuck in our ways. :wink:

1 Like

I didnā€™t know that/ this is awsome

sorry if itā€™s been asked, but i canā€™t figure out how to change edit/delete conditions on an item. where does that control sit now?

Enabling Edit on an item should be the same.

However, I canā€™t seem to find the Delete option anymore. Enabling Delete underneath the Edit option seems to be missing in the new interface.

1 Like

Yeah thatā€™s fixed in staging but I definitely missed it for the current version in production

5 Likes

Iā€™m loving the new look!

1. Settings :+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1:
  2. Tables :+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1:
  3. Components should always be to the right. Itā€™s a bit of a mess :+1:
  4. Styles is something we select once or at most twice (should have been to the left).:+1:
  5. Otherwise :+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1:

Works fine for me now!

I just tried it. Seemed exciting at firstā€¦ obviously I stumbled to find where things were. But I got more and more frustrated. I hate the left menu being so far from the right menu. Components should be in one place. I really hated not being able to close the components menu when I clicked add component then changed my mindā€¦ I had to switch to another tab to force the menu to close. I had a tab with many componentsā€¦ I wanted to add a new component but the ā€˜add + iconā€™ had disappeared when I was at the bottom of my list of components.
I also clicked the + button at the top of the page to add a new component and of course that then added a new tab accidentally. Worse, how could I delete the new tabā€¦ took me 2 minutes to give up hunting for a delete icon and found out if I left mouse clicked the icon name I could delete itā€¦ ugh.

Frustration grew after 20 minutes. I tried to convince myself all these color coded groups of components must be great once you begin to recognize themā€¦ but then I just clicked back to the old builder. And wow, it looked so clean fresh and familiar.

I have to ask, whatā€™s wrong with the current builder that makes you want to reconstruct the layouts so radically. The new builder has lost the brilliant simplicity and completely walked away from so many beautifully intuitive menus.

Not a fan. Bring on the features but keep the current layouts.

1 Like

Just a little usability tweak for me would be the component + icon being held at the top of the menu, and the same for the tab + icon. Also the separator between the 2 sections could be a little more defined.

Would also be nice to insert a component in a specific place, but that is something else.

2 Likes

To me it would feel more logical to have it like this:

Left: tabs/components column
Middle: details of the selected component
Richt: preview app

2 Likes

Now Iā€™m thinking we need old and new; just switch between them.

Thatā€™s not the idea is it :wink:

1 Like

:joy::joy:

Iā€™d prefer a layout like this for components, so I donā€™t have to jump left/right
I feel for the components tab now Iā€™d want to shrink my screen, but for the data editor, I still want as wide as possibleā€¦
A popout data editor would also be awesome.

6 Likes

The previous Builder evolved organically over two years as we incrementally added each new feature. It was a strong design, but could not accommodate major new features we want to add:

• tablet and web support
  • more powerful layout options (e.g. component groups)
  • data source management (e.g. connect to multiple sheets or third-party sources)

This transition will be a bit awkward and not obviously worthwhile immediately for everyone, but six months from now, as these new features compound, I believe Glide will feel improved 10x.

18 Likes

Good idea on both counts. Let me try to get that in for tuesday.

5 Likes