New Features: Circle Tiles, Inline Choice, Twitter Cards

On the demo it’s not used on a form. If used on a page it can not have the dash.

I wonder if that’s a bug or by design. I’d lean towards bug.

1 Like

I hope it’s a bug; if not, I am curious about the reason for the difference in the two implementations.

1 Like

If you check “Required” the dash does not get displayed

The dash is retained, even if a choice is required, when it’s used in a form. See screenshot above.

We’ll fix this. Thank you for reporting!

3 Likes

How can I test it Jeff?
I’m on https://staging.heyglide.com/… is it a layout?

It’s a column type in the data tab.

1 Like

IT seems that when the "choice component” segmented option is used, a limit of 5 items is enforced. I tried to create a filter per day of the week ( Mon, Tus, etc…) only 5 days out of the week is displayed. Could the segmented option become scrollable?

Like the inline choices but curious about why you use a different label style.

Drop down has light grey label like other components
CleanShot 2020-02-06 at 14.38.21

Inline has big black bold label
CleanShot 2020-02-06 at 14.38.35

In fact, I’ve noticed this styling inconsistency on other component types too. I’ve found i’ve had to use RT components to develop consistent label styles.

Nope. Making it “required” doesn’t get rid of the dash (no value) in the inline choices for me.

Edit: Actually, that does work… but only if I use it on a non-edit page, not an add or edit form. (As is noted above by @Sandro_Brito)

Being able to use it on pages tho is interesting… Means you could use it (in conjunction with the Condition visibility options) like a Tab bar for showing more content pages in the one area. e.g if you had an app of courses, you could set up tabs for Overview, Requirements, Fees, Duration

Edit: Have implented that idea on the About page of my Diary app I shared.

2 Likes

We’ll fix the dash issue for required choices.

4 Likes

@Aj2666 @Mark Why not allow more than 5 elements. If there is to many items to make a great ux well the designer just have to reduce the number of items - but let the app designer decide himself. 7 or 10 choices could be a possibility.

1 Like

Another possibility is to have it as scrolling tabs. it works for tabs, not so much for forms :S

Krivo, thanks for your feedback! At the design team we’re always trying to find a balance in what we consider and believe are good practices that will help users to design good experiences, which is one of our main goals. We believed 5 is a good number of segments for this type of component, basically due to space being an issue when trying to interact with it.

But again, we really appreciate your feedback, which means that we will reconsider this decision and see if rendering more content as you suggested could be the solution, or just fully opening the amount of items in there could be a better approach.

2 Likes

For the circle tiles, would there be an opportunity to have an option for the title inside the circle, instead of only under the circlewith a 1 tiles per row configuration and circle tiles, it’s not so pretty… Big circles.

@Christophe_HK yes, we are planning to allow overlay text on circle tiles as well as we do today with the rest of them :wink:

3 Likes

Supra cool! Many thanks Antonio :+1:t2:

1 Like

Thanks, @Mark! I like the “Inline Choice” better than the “List” for taking attendance for my choir, but the dash is limiting my number of choices. So, it would really be great when the dash issue is fixed. Here’s how I plan to use it, minus the dash, of course.

Any chance of adding a couple more slots to the “Inline Choice”? I have 2 more choices to add to the example shown, but since there are only 5 slots, I figured I’ll get creative with how I’ll incorporate the 6th option in the form.

Thanks so much for all you do!

1 Like

Following up on @chrishoward’s post about styling, it would be great if we could get more choices for styling… similar to the way Buttons have 4 styles. My app, unfortunately, uses an accent color that is close to white, but not quite light enough to switch it to black text. So my Inline Choice component is hard to read. I realize some of those Button styles would need to be treated a bit differently since unlike buttons, this component switches color to signify choice, but even a neutral gray style like @chrishoward mentioned that would allow us to avoid this Filled look. I use Bordered style on all my buttons for this very reason. The filled version is just hard to read with the color I’ve chosen and looks poorly designed, which I know you folks are trying to avoid with our app.