🆕 Joined List column ready in production

Now you can add a “Joined List” column in production apps. In the example, I joined the list of dishes from a category relation, separated by a comma.

12 Likes

Can you explain this a little more? What is the use case for this? What does it actually do? How can we practically use it in our apps to achieve something? Thanks

1 Like

I think the most immediate use is this.

Yeesss, now I have more work to change, it’s a bittersweet feeling: I wished this feature for weeks and now I have it, I hate all work I made as workaround before it :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

But anyway it’s a big step to everyone working with Glide.

Gracias por este gran juguete @Mark!!

Saludos

5 Likes

i can see the future of this feature but now i’m thinking of a generic use case.

Screen Shot 2020-08-08 at 17.34.16

Edited: i had tried and saw that it could gather up all data within specific column then rolled up into one single array with anything as delimiter. But so far I had tried and it seemed no Glide components can cope with this array.

And since this cannot be used with the generic data table as the data will keep on tailing. I wonder how to use it apart of being a good Logging feature.

The thing is, Joined List is no longer an array. It’s just a single string of text, so it can only be applied to components that accept single column values. If you still needed an array, then a Lookup column would give you that.

The original request that brought the Joined List feature was to take an array list of toppings for a food item and put them in a single column when an order is submitted, so they can be written to a single row. I use it myself to build dynamic html or markdown tables from multiple rows of data.

1 Like

is there a limit on the number of items/characters that should be included in a joined list? if hypothetically I included several hundred rows in a big joined list of several thousand characters, would this cause performance issues?

I think here’s the relevant info.

Would love to see a couple simple versions of this

1 Like

thanks!

1 Like

@Robert_Petitto I threw together a quick example here.

It’s adapted from how I currently use it in my main app to display a list of lessons in an Invoice. I mix it with CSS to get the border and the alternating gray bar.

9 Likes

Thanks Jeff! Really appreciate you taking the time to create an example!

2 Likes

Not sure if this might be of interest to anyone, but we can avoid use of formulas to split items across several rows by just replacing the comma with < /br > < /br > and pull the items as a list using the rich text component.

6 Likes

Can you give us a usecase Wiz? I guess I didn’t get it at all

1 Like

Just a single CRLF (carriage return line feed) also works. I use this to generate CSV exports.

3 Likes

@Lucas_Pires

say we have a long list of items.

Comma separated result is below:

comma separated

HTML break tag separated result is below

HTML break tag

2 Likes

Got it! Amazing

1 Like

Hola @Wiz.Wazeer

But your long list is a Joined List right?

If so, you can use the CRLF instead of comma (,) (press Enter). This will create a list separated by an empty line.

Saludos

1 Like

Hi Darran, would be interested to know this. I have subscription based app (Public App) wherein each user have their data inserted by them. I want to give them an option to export their data to CSV. I checked integromat but I am stuck on how to combined the data into one. Probably you can help me out in this. Thanks

A few people have asked about this. I’ll try and find some time to post a short tutorial later this week.

1 Like