Is it possible to change the source spreadsheet of an app?

Duplicate your current app including the sheet. When you publish your new app, change the URL in the new app to be the same as the URL from the old app. (Change the URL in the old app first - it won’t let you use a URL that’s already in use.) The new app will be looking at your new sheet, and you can now change visibility of the old sheet without losing functionality of your app. You also won’t confuse customers by sending them to a new app.

1 Like

Oh nice!! Hadn’t thought of this, but that’s a great way to build a new version of an app in private then release when ready. Just would require manually copying any data from the old sheet that was input while you were l working on the new version. A handful of copy and pastes.

3 Likes

I haven’t had to transfer a pro account to another app…at least not since the new billing page, so I’m not entirely sure how the process works, but I think it’s possible based on this post. Just duplicate the app and transfer the subscription.

1 Like

I intuitively did this before reading your comment but the step I missed was changing the URL in the old app first…

So now since my new app is pointing to the same URL, i still see the old app showing up and not the new. deleted the old app and still no luck.

Changed custom URL to another subdomain and reconfigured DNS records but that didn’t help either. Seems like a cache issue from Glide side? doubt it’s dns propagation since it’s taken way longer than it did for the first app

Are you saying that you deleted the old app, but that’s the version that’s still opening? How did you differentiate the old and new app so you can tell the difference?

I’ve created a new topic for this here

but to answer your question, I’ve added “NEW” to the title of the new one so it looks different.
Basically,

old short url:

old custom url:
https://internships.umapp.club/

new short url:
https://internshipsmy.glideapp.io/
new custom url:
since i couldnt get https://internships.umapp.club/ to point to the new app, i’m trying https://internship.umapp.club/, and still no luck

tried incognito mode and different devices and ISP and it’s strange why this still persists

Found this, so maybe you just need to wait longer. No idea though.

https://docs.glideapps.com/all/etc/account/glide-pro/configuring-a-custom-domain/issues-when-configuring-a-custom-domain#transfer-domain-to-another-app

I’ve never gone through the process, but my only thought is maybe your dns records are still referring to the old codes that you entered from Glide.

Hi Mark, was a solution to the specific problem above ever found?

Hi Tim, I can’t seem to get this to work. After setting a URL for the old app, and publishing the new app, I can’t set the new app to have the old app’s URL. If I change the old app URL, and assign the new app to have the same name as the old app’s former URL, nothing happens. Could you somehow demonstrate this step by step?

Hi Olivier, Hi Mark,

You precisely described the problem i just discovered I had !
I too have 2 apps on the same sheet, and wanted to make copies of these 2 apps.

Has there been any news on that very specific question ? Will i have to build all over again one of the two apps for each copy i wish to create ?

Thanks a lot for the great job !

There is a lot of new functionality from Glide that makes it much easier to build everything into a single app. If I were you, I would try to build one single app instead of separate apps. You can control a lot of visibility and authority without the need to separate apps.

1 Like

Thanks for the answer !

I had in fact created only 1 app at first, but it’s for school and i can’t risk to have problems with data security. I decided to rethink the whole app to avoid using names or emails.

1 Like

there’s an error with Glide. When you duplicate the App with the option of making a copy of the underlying source Sheet, it doesn’t make a copy of the sheet.

1 Like

What happens when you are editing that copied app and click on the pencil on the left hand side of the builder to edit the sheet? Does it open the original or the copy?

Yes, it opens the original Sheet. Also in Google Drive no new Sheet is created.

Hi, I am building an app for my company. I started the app with a google sheet from my personal google account. But, now I using it for the company. I would like to transfer the google sheet to my company google account. Is that possible? I am also thinking of a scenario where if i leave the company, how would I transfer the sheet to the company? Thanks

Here’s the relevant article for your case.

Thanks, Shall I go ahead and do it? Hope it won’t affect the app! Please confirm as the above is not a glideapps reference, so just a little anxious.

I don’t think transferring the ownership of the Google Sheets will affect your app as it already has the license to connect with your sheet, but you can try a duplicate just to make sure.

1 Like

still the same error