Filtering - Show component when [inline list] is not empty not working

I use this visibility setting elsewhere in the app and it works. I might be overlooking something simple here.

All three text components in this view should only display if inline lists directly below are not empty. Same applies for line dividers, which have the exact same visibility setting.

All three inline lists are identical, just given different names.I have filled in their titles just to be certain they are not in view.

The setting on the inline lists works perfectly. Not sure why visibility for the others is not.

Just to be clear, since you are mentioning both ways in your comments above. You want the text that you have highlighted in red to show only when the relation is NOT empty, correct? Are the relations truly empty if you look in the data editor? are you sure it’s not picking up a row that may have an empty value in the first column? Do you have any filters on your inline lists?

Exactly.

  • relations are not empty in the data editor itself and I suppose that’s what “when inline list is not empty” signifies. Not empty from a display (in preview) standpoint.
  • I’m relying on filtering, yes.

filters

I replicated the first inline list (3x) to have more control. But effectively, the item you see displayed in the first inline list is also present in the following two, just masked.

You can’t set conditions if an inline list is empty or not empty. There is no such function. Only if the actual relation is empty or not empty. I suppose since your relation still contains data, then the text is displaying whereas the inline list is heavily filtered to only show certain data. You would have to restructure your relations to make this work. First move all of your filtering conditions to if then columns in the sheet that the relation is pointing to. You should be able to setup a multi-check if then column to return a final true or false based on the conditions you want to filter by. Then on the sheet you are using for your tab, create a template with the value of ‘true’ and use that for a relation to the proper sheet by linking the true value to the true value. That will give you the same filtering you need and then you can use the relation to set visibility on the text components.

you mean I can’t filter inline lists into oblivion? :slight_smile: I didn’t catch that limitation with the other lists because they’re a different setup entirely. Started working the first set of your instructions. End result is the Grouping column you see below. Value, however, is not “true/false.” Is Grouping the column you’re suggesting I set up on the Tab sheet?

1 Like

Yeah, that should work. I mentioned a final true/false value, but your grouping value makes more sense. As long as you have template columns with that group name in your tab sheet, then you can create a relation from the template columns to the grouping column and everything should work.

1 Like

Thanks, Jeff!
What values are those template columns replacing? I’m not seeing the “connection point” but understand the output must be all three “GRP” options.

You wouldn’t “replace” anything in the template column. You are just filling it with the text of a group name. If you have 3 groups you want to relate to, then you will need 3 template columns. Each filled with each Group Name. Then you can build your relation columns using them. It’s all about having columns with static text values that you can use to create your relations.

Got it. Always viewed as something suited to a single value column.

Didn’t quite work though. The three lists are replicated across all product detail pages even where a vendor isn’t a seller of the product. Will have investigate tomorrow.

Thanks for your help today!

The original relations (3x rel_OLD column) related products in the Tab sheet to producers in what I believe you referred to as the “proper” sheet. With this new setup (“Grouping” column in the producer sheet), merely relating values of true in the Tab sheet to the Grouping column (3 rel_GRP_xyz columns in the image below) does not preserve the relation between Producer and Product.

In the example below, for a Product A where only one producer should display in the wholesale group inline list and the other two inline lists should be empty, all producers in all groups display.

I am however still able to use rel_OLD and leverage the Grouping column for… Grouping. But that doesn’t give me the flexibility I need.

Is there a way to compare rel_OLD against the rel_GRP_xyz columns to derive the correct producer? Something tells me there are 3 more columns around the corner.

If I understand correctly, in addition to the IF/THEN Grouping column that you created from the other true/false columns, you may need to also create a template that joins that group and the producer name (or whichever column you used for your original rel_OLD column). Then in the template columns on your Products sheet, add the Producer Name to the Group Name templates. I think that will work for you.

The pain is real but this was a good exercise. The reason this wasn’t smooth sailing is because I have an in-between product page. The tab-sheet is a summary of sorts. What it took to get 3 inline lists, pre-filtered:

Producer sheet: IF/Then (4), Template (2), Lookup (3)
Product (Transition) sheet: Template (6), Relation (3), If/Then (6)
Product (Tab) sheet: Relation (3)

Thanks for your guidance.

1 Like