How to create a 'hint' for when inline list is empty

I have an inline list on my app that you can filter your matches with different selections. Is there a way to have a hint pop up when people have filtered out all of the options and the inline list is empty? Because it’s not in the database but a visual circumstance, i’m not sure how to make that work!
Picture shows filters on the top half and the inline list of salons on the bottom half.

The only way to do that would be to create the filter in the data editor (using an if then else column) and use a relation from the if then else column to the data you want to display. If the relation is empty (no data found), then display a conditional hint text or image saying that there are no results.

3 Likes

Hi Robert! So I have a ton of filters that dictate what appears in the inline list. Do I need to create an IFTE that connects to all of the filters? Like: if every single one of them are empty, then true, and then create a filter on the front side that if the IFTE is true, show hint?

Yes, you might need to depending upon what sort of user experience you’re looking for

The upside to this is that if you do it right, you might be able replace all those crazy filter conditions with a single condition that references your if-then-else column :wink:

2 Likes

oh wait…what I said doesn’t make sense because it’s when people have too many filters checked off that the inline list doesn’t show any results…so it’s the opposite of the filters being empty. Can I create an IFTE that recognizes if the inline list is empty?

:joy: :joy: :joy: Let’s not get too excited!!!

1 Like

If you are already using IFTE to set up your filters, and you have a final IFTE to establish an overall true or false value, then you should be able to use a rollup column somewhere to count the true values in that column. If the rollup count is zero, then display the hint.

3 Likes

So I don’t have a final IFTE in the database for it, I have the most insane filter data list :sweat_smile:

That’s why I’m not sure if I can create a trigger from the database? lol I’m not sure if i can do something about this insanity, but this filter set up was the only thing I tried that worked exactly the way I wanted it to filter.

Hehe, yeah, that’s a little insane. I think the only way to get a value that you can use for visibility is to move all of that visibility logic into the table. You might have to flip your head on backwards, because the IFTE column does not have AND logic like visibility does. So what you would have to do is think a little backwards, check that values are ‘NOT Included In’, and then return false. At the very end of the IF column, return true if it made it through all of those negative checks. Then you have a single true false value you can use for your visibility conditions.

Another much simpler option is to place a hint component at the bottom of the screen that says ‘End of Results’. It’s a valid hint regardless if you have a list of salons, or if the filters didn’t find any matches. If there are no matches, then the ‘End of Results’ hint will just roll up to the top of the screen.

2 Likes

I’d suggest a filtering screen like this one: Glide app: Marketplace app with advanced filtering and notifications - YouTube
You have to build it on the db instead of on the front end (as you have now).

Jeff’s solution is also a good way to achieve something similar quite fast/easy.

3 Likes

Curiosity - you have numbers in brackets like “Additional [4]”, is this a column name or some feature of Glide that acts like a matrix/row index?

App looks cool too!

1 Like

Nope, that’s a column name.

1 Like

Jeff I think you’re right and I just need “end of results” lol

The visibility of all of the different filter conditions was a BEAST to perfect. I’m already sweating thinking about trying to change it over!

1 Like

I’ll definitely check out this video, thanks Jesus!!

It’s the Katelyn Matrix :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I’ve found that managing complicated visibility conditions on the backend/table is easier in the long run. @Jeff_Hager’s post is exactly how I would approach this.

3 Likes

Exactly. Two visibility or filtering conditions is one too many :wink:

1 Like

TWO is too many? I feel attacked lol

1 Like

hehe, I think @ThinhDinh has access to your app, yes?
You should challenge him to reduce all your filters to a single condition. I’m sure he could do it :wink:

1 Like