DNS and WWW. bug

Hello,
When i write www.comovert.fr internet send me directly to the GlideApp Home page but when i write comovert.fr i go to my website.

Do there is a DNS parameter that i can change or add to have the www.comovert.fr redirecting to my website ?

You need to set up a URL redirect (most DNS providers have one) that will redirect www.comovert.fr to comovert.fr

1 Like

It seems it already knows what to do?

1 Like

“I understand your concern, however since you are given a resource record that is conflicting with the forwarding of your domain that is why it is best to coordinate with the Webhost provider.”

Can someone spell this out for me please?

It was working and now it isnt. GummyGrab.com now works www.gummygrab.com does not. I am in google domains, what do I need to do to fix?

Found this re: Godaddy.

When a domain is registered at GoDaddy, in our DNS the “www” is by default created as a CNAME, with the value “@” which is shorthand for the domain itself. The “www” CNAME will always by default forward to the domain name, that way people visiting your domain can get to your site either by typing out “yourdomain.com” or by typing out “www.yourdomain.com”.

Some third party companies require the CNAME to also be pointed to something specific on their servers. Blogger, Squarespace, and GSUITE sites are common examples of this. If the CNAME is not pointing to the data required by these third party sites, our default DNS will still forward the “www” to the domain, but upon reaching it the “www” won’t know where exactly it’s supposed to look, which will result in error pages.

Hi @Jason,

What is the trick to carry out this using Google Domains?

I want my users to go to my Glide APP if they write:

• MyDomain.app
  • www.MyDomain.app

Currently, my Pro APP is working fine with MyDomain.app but I can’t find the way to get the same with www.MyDomain.app

Gracias de antemano, saludos!

Here is the solution, finally I could find the right setting by using Google Domains.

After you set it up, you must wait 4-5 hours for SSL activation.

I hope it helps anyone in future.

Feliz noche!

3 Likes

Hmm not working if you are not with Google Domains. My domain provider says that it is with GlideApp’s hosting provider where it needs to be configured for both. Since .app domains require SSL you can’t just forward it. Let me escalate it to support.

1 Like

No luck on this yet. It seems that only Google Domains provide the functionality to enable SSL with www redirects for .app and .dev domains. I would have no problem moving the domain to Google Domains, however, Google does not offer this in my country (Ireland). I have tried ad a WWW Redirect with A-records but that doesn’t do the job. Error message: not found, which is logical, since my provider only serves SSL if I host with them. When I use other website hosts, they perfectly serve SSL-required domains (.app and .dev) from other providers and add www redirects with SSL.

Fixed! Here is what I did and what works if you are not with Google domains.
If you cannot do the www redirect to the naked domain, you can just point both the naked AND the www to the app. You just need to do the process within Glide apps twice, one with www and one with the naked to get the right records. Not sure if this is the most optimal way to do it but it works for the time being.

This should not work —each app can only have one domain. If it worked it might be temporary.

Yes, indeed it lasted a few hours :-/.
I think if I just get hosting and SSL at another provider and just use them only for the www redirect I will be fine isn’t it?

I think so!

Just for curiosity: which domain provider are you using?

My domain with SSL cost me $14

Saludos

The cheapest on the planet: Namesilo. The problem was that it can’t be transferred to another provider within the first 60 days with ICANN, so worst case I just had to buy their hosting for a few months. But now I figured that I can get the SSL separately with Cloudfare, after which I can just 301-redirect www to the naked domain with Namesilo. It works, however, the load time longer than 20 seconds, so not really. Will ask Namesilo what I can do to speed that up.

1 Like

Ok, got the issue solved. It is simple:
If you have an .app or .dev domain that requires SSL it’s best to go with Google Domains.
If you can’t use Google domains, than make a free account on Cloudfare, change your nameservers to them and copy all DNS records to Cloudfare and remove them from your domainprovidor. You get an SSL at Cloudfare as well, adn it is important that you set the SSL/TLS encryption to the ‘Flexible’ mode. If you do all that, it works!!

Here are the relevant records that I used:

Screenshot 2020-09-17 at 21.41.40|690x455

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing Scarlet, and glad you got it solved.

1 Like