Community Meetup | June 2, 2020 – 17.00 (CET)

COMMUNITY MEETUP: June 2, 2020 (Tuesday)
17.00 (CET)
60-90 minutes
Join here: Google Meet link

Meeting agenda

• Let’s try to sign in a few minutes early so we can start at 17.00.
  • Participants will introduce themselves (60 seconds max.): experience and goals with Glide.
  • Topics will be discussed in 10 to 20-minutes chunks.
  • When speaking, please try to use the CAR method: context, actions, results.
  • 5 to 10-minute break around 17.40 if needed.
  • Topics we do not address during this meetup will be addressed during the next one. :slight_smile:

Concept & purpose of the meeting

This community meetup is organized spontaneously by a few Gliders, not by Glide Team itself. The session is meant to be a discussion. Join with your own topics and ideas. :slight_smile:

• We want to get smarter, find inspiration, learn from one another.
  • We will not record the meeting as we are here to learn, not to perform and attract clients.
  • We share learnings and experience, including mistakes, misunderstandings, failures

During this 60 to 90-minute online meetup, Gliders – maybe including you – will discuss multiple topics in 10-20 minutes chunks related to app building in Glide.

(Deep dives, full blown app building sessions and class-like meetups might be organized at later dates, where an expert might present trending topics or demonstrate something live.)

Discussion topics submitted so far

• Setting up a carousel in conjunction with Cloudinary (@Krivo)
  • Query vs importrange vs arrayformula in Google Sheets (@Krivo)
  • Text strikethrough (@nathanaelb)
  • Where the biggest “hacks” are done (data structure, design) that might indicate upcoming feature releases.
  • Best practices when creating an app: creative process, data structure in GS and GDE, UX.

Further requests or suggestions for this meetup, from you

• Lag troubleshooting (@David_Fefferman)
  • Efficient data structure (@David_Fefferman)
  • Storing subscription details (mail provider, in sheet?)
  • Integrations with 3rd-party services such Webflow, Zapier, etc.
  • Timestamps: local time vs user’s settings
  • Private messaging within an app. Realtime. Daily summaries. (@David_Fefferman)
  • App push notifications. Browser notifications. (@David_Fefferman)
  • On-boarding screens. Zero-state and first time user tutorials that disappear after the user has completed a task. (@David_Fefferman, @Manan_Mehta)
  • Cash on Delivery (COD) as an additional option at checkout (@Aj2666)
  • Combined public & private access for users (@Aj2666)
  • Custom REST apis (@Wayne)
  • Limits: 25000 rows, will we ever have this limit increased (@Wayne)
  • Like component customizable, e.g. down vote, upvote instead of just Liked (@Wayne)
  • Google Maps: drop pinto set a location (@Wayne)

Let us know here if you think you might be able to join. Should you want a calendar invitation with the Google Meet link as a reminder, feel free to send @nathanaelb a direct message with your email address and I will add you.

7 Likes

Hey I can join! That’s 10pm here in Vietnam.

Please add my email: ariesarsenal@gmail.com. I will schedule my work accordingly.

1 Like

See you in Tuesday, @ThinhDinh. Don’t hesitate to suggest topics you would like to discuss.

1 Like

Would you mind adding me as well?
eltintero at gmail

2 Likes

Could you add me too? Would love to be a part!
manan@modernizingtrends.com

1 Like

Great idea. Will a recording be available? I’d love to join as the topics are really of interest but I have a work meeting at that time.

1 Like

@Stephanie_Bonnet i will respond that the meeting will not be available as a video afterwards as the will involve a lot more preparation - and also some intimacy. But I will say that I expect to share my app for showing how to use image carousel and cloudinary.

1 Like

Thanks @Krivo I understand, certainly don’t want to create more work for you. The topics that I was interested in are those below so if there is some kind of summary somewhere, great but again only if something you intended to do anyway.

To all Gliders interested in joining next week’s community meetup on Tuesday, don’t hesitate to indicate here you might join (you can send me a dm with your email to receive a calendar invite).

@Krivo @sardamit @ThinhDinh @Manan_Mehta @eltintero @Naos_Wilbrink
You can send more topics that you would like us to discuss.

@Stephanie_Bonnet
Tell us about any other topics you might be interested in.

Currently, here are topics of interest:

• Setting up a carousel in conjunction with Cloudinary (@Krivo)
  • Query vs importrange vs arrayformula in Google Sheets (@Krivo)
  • Text strikethrough (@nathanaelb)
  • Where the biggest “hacks” are done (data structure, design) that might indicate upcoming feature releases.
  • Best practices when creating an app: creative process, data structure in GS and GDE, UX.
  • Lag troubleshooting
2 Likes

Please add me mrinal68@gmail.com
Thanks

This sounds like a lot of fun!
I’m working on an app with a lot of user generated content. Efficient data structure and reducing lag are top of my list.

Please add me: mike.godoy@gmail.com

@Mrinal_Chakraborty @David_Fefferman @MikeGodoy, hello there. I just sent calendar invitations via email.

Great topic suggestions, thanks! Feel free to send more ideas if any come up.

See you on Tuesday.

Another few topics that are top of mind for me right now:

1. Private messaging within an app
  2. App push notifications
  3. Zero-state/first time user tutorials that disappear after the user finishes a task

I know there are posts on just about all of these topics, and I’m diving into them. Still, would be great to cover/discuss.

1 Like

Regarding the private messaging, here’s a template of it.

App push notifications has been requested multiple times, but it’s hard to achieve on iOS.

Can we add a topic of onboarding screens? These could be tutorials or an overview of an app and are vital in deciding if a potential customer uses the app or not.
These are to be showcased only to first time users of any app. For both public apps and public with email apps.

2 Likes

@Manan_Mehta, I will add your topic as well as @David_Fefferman’s requests to the topics list.

1 Like

please add me: frederic.herrera@gmail.com

Please add me also ensirq@gmail.com

Some topics of interest:

• Push notifications
  • Custom REST apis
  • 25000 rows, will we ever have this limit increased
  • Make the Like component customizable, e.g. down vote, upvote instead of just Liked
  • Drop pin on Google map to set a location

@Wayne @FredHerrera
I sent invitations to your email address. See you on Tuesday! :slight_smile: