Can you add option to link Buttons to Tabs?

As my app expands and I need more tabs for different functionalities, I’m wondering if we could get an option to link Buttons to Tabs.

This way, i could create the tabs required, and put them in the Hidden tabs section. Then create a single tab with buttons to those hidden tabs.

Couple of examples:

I categorise my todos, diary entries, notes, etc as Work, Personal, Business. Sometimes I want to view them by just their category. So I set up a Tab for each category under the hamburger menu.

Within the main screens of my app, completed todos are hidden. Sometimes I want to go back to the completed todos and mark them incomplete (e.g. of I’ve accidentally marked the wrong one complete). So, again, I setup a Tab with that view.

Ideally, I would like a single screen of buttons to access each of these four views. And any future views.

Now obviously a Button goes to its own view, so you could say what’s wrong with that? But that view is unique to that button. Trash the button, lose that view. Whereas, a Tab is a globally accessible view and independent. You could trash a button linked to it, but not lose that view.

Of course, I’m asking this coz I’ve already setuo those four tabs bit now want to switch to a single screen of buttons. :smiley: Because, currently, new buttons that “Link to screen” create new views and I’d have to redo everything.

Another thought, maybe when you create a new Button that links to screen, have an option to save the new view as a Tab?

PS I am hoping future Glide will have filter buttons, which means, my example above would be less necessary, though globally accessible views (Tabs) would be useful at other times.

2 Likes

A detail layout is always tied to a sheet, so whether you use a button or a tab or both, the layout on one will affect the other. I’m assuming what you are saying and what I observed with some brief testing, is that a list layout for example does not hold when laying out a tab, hiding it, and then creating a button against that same sheet. A new button will default to the default list. I think if you structured your tab to use the detail layout instead with an inline list inside of it, then hide the tab and create a button against the same sheet, the layout should stick. This might double your sheet count since you would need several placeholder sheets, but I think it would give you the look and function you want. I hope this makes sense.

1 Like

Hi Jeff, pretty sure I understood what you meant and it didn’t work for me.

Using my test sheet (an animal lists database), I created a Tab for a sheet (Animal Content) using a Detail view and on it used the Inline List component to list all of the records from Animal Content.

I placed that Tab in the hamburger menu section.

Then I added a button to another sheet that was “Link to screen” and set that to the Animal Content sheet.

However, it defaulted to the default Glide layout, i.e., using a List component.

As I say, I think this i what you meant. :slight_smile:

I think you got what what I was saying. Yes, it will default to the list layout, but you only need to change it to the detail style and it should have everything you laid out on the tab you placed in the hamburger menu.

Ah! Didn’t do that last step…

However, when I do (switch to Detail layout), I get this:

huh, that must have changed recently. I’m almost positive that in the past you couldn’t have more than one layout against a sheet and what I was describing above is how it always used to work. I’m hoping somebody else can confirm this because I’ve always preached that detail layouts are tied to sheets. I know the ability to add tabs to the same sheet has been around for at least a few months, but I think I always thought that the only thing you could have different between different buttons/tabs that point to the same sheet is having different filtering and sorting on a list.

Sometimes new features slip in unnoticed, so now I’m curious.

2 Likes

OK, I think I may have discovered my confusion while working on a demo for somebody else. If you have a button and a tab both opening a list of items, then the details for those list items will be mimicked across both detail views. So adding components or turning on edit mode will affect the detail view whether you come in from the button or from the tab. If you change the layout style for the button to be Detail Style layout, then it will only show the details of one row, but you can change the components how you want and allow edit mode, but it will not affect the detail view when selecting a record in the list from the tab. So a good example would be a list of employees accessible from the tab where everything would be view only, but you could use the button to open only the details for your personal profile and turn on editing so you can edit only your own record. I guess I didn’t realize it worked this way, so I learned something. In your case, both views are the Detail Style layout, so essentially the top level from a button or tab can be independently designed, but any sub levels share the details layout across the app.

1 Like

Hi, sorry to bring this one up again…
I have about 8 tabs and they are, apart from one, Details Style. They have a lot of data input fields and have taken quite a long time to build. I have placed some tabs, the most often used ones, at the botom and the rest in the hamburger menu - and that is just fine.
I have now created a menu page (tab) using buttons to Link to Screen which I have set to Details Style but the link does not go to my original tab, instead it just lists the raw data from the sheet so I will have to re-create the whole tab again.
So I am asking is there a way to Link to Screen to the actual tab that I have already created or do I have to rebuild it from scratch - basically doing the same design function twice.
My first screen shot shows what I have created for the tab

The second screen shot shows the Details Style that I see from the Link to Screen button in my menu that I presume I will have to design to match the Tab version.

Thanks…

I believe that is the intend of that, someone asked me this same question like a month ago.

I think with the Link to Screen button available, a good practice is to have as few tabs as possible and use icons/images/buttons to link to the other screens. That would provide a great look as well.

Hi
Ok I see your point.
I decided to change the button on one of my tabs to an image to link to the second detail view - and again I have had to completly re create the page. It would be nice if we coluld copy the layout - but hey ho its not a major issue - I love Glide!

1 Like