All New Data Editor & Computed Columns

I think @Mark_Turrell is special :wink:

4 Likes

Do you say zero item or zero items???

1 Like

wow good!!

I think I argued for this the other day in another thread. I think it should always be 0 items but seems like French people don’t use it that way?

1 Like

maybe should indicate the sigular expression. But maybe should say “No item” or in french “Aucun article”.
Maybe best approach is to set another field in the plugin just to let the user choose his best “0 expression” ?

1 Like

Yeah that would make sense to have an additional parameter for zero. While counter-intuitive (as English often is), it’s common to express zero items in it’s plural form, so to me it makes sense how it works now, but I completely understand that it’s not the case in all languages.

In English, anything above 0 and less than or equal to 1 is considered singular, including decimals, since it refers to a single item or part of (in the case of a decimal value) a single item. Any number above 1, but also including zero, refer to the whole collection of items. English is weird. I get it. :wink:

2 Likes

or… you can just use an if-then-else column and express singular and plural anyway you like :wink:

4 Likes

How quickly are the updates recognised back in Glide @Mark_Turrell ?

1 Like

Is it just me or do we no longer need RowIDs for User Specific Columns?

We’ve never needed them in Glide Tables, as far as I’m aware - although I always add one anyway.
But we still need them in tables linked to GSheets?

2 Likes

Can confirm.

1 Like

Aïe! Looks like it’s not accurate yet for foreign D/T format.
The columns show my Time Zone, not the user’s.
Besides, how can I capture user’s Time Zone in Actions (Add Row, Set Column)? I can only select “Current Date/Time” without any other option. Will we get the same options as in Computed Columns for consistency?

The screen cap shows the results all relative to my Paris/France Time Zone. Sometimes it says CET, sometimes UTC+2.
And it says “Summer Time” instead of “Winter Time”
with trouble dealing w/ the european DD/MM/YYYY format (it says June 11 instead of November 6)
The “Europe/Paris”(not accurate, BTW) is missing in the last row. Refresh issue.

and it can even say “in 2 hours” like a prediction :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:. When the user is in my TZ+2. Funny, but not accurate.

Thks for your insights :cherry_blossom:

1 Like

I like that. But would be great if I can access any of my app screen/tab, even nth component (link, image, pdf, especially) via a consistent URL format like appname/tab-screenname/componenttype/nth/read&filter=
where filter can be a sort, zoom.
and provided all our resources (especially logos, backgrounds, attachments can be organized in one single place linked/related/integrated to our app)

Hum. Makes me think of a “Liar detector device”. Can anyone find a cool use case for IsFalsey? Could help me remember that one fine day. Thks.
(Yes, I’ve seen this Is Falsey column • Glide (glideapps.com) and the GitHub as well.
But a smart use case would really be cool & cookie for my brain :cookie::brain:

An obvious use case is testing a boolean column.
Glide booleans have 3 states:

• Empty
  • False
  • True

An important thing to understand is that empty does not equal false
People often get tripped up by this because they forget (or don’t know) about the empty state and so they start testing empty booleans as false and their heads explode (metaphorically, of course) when they don’t get the results they expect.

Using IsFalsey would circumvent this, because a boolean that’s tested for IsFalsey would return true for both empty and false.

But an easier way is to just avoid testing for false altogether, and test for either is true or is not true (because empty and false are both not true). This method is good for the vast majority of use cases.

Have I confused you yet? :wink:

There would be similar use cases for other types of columns.

7 Likes

Actually, I was rather looking for a “real-life use case”, not a “general abstract concept”. Yeah, sometimes, I can be “less philosophy”.
Imagine you’re a great National Geographic Channel Genius Speaker (say Jason Silva). What story would you tell me to understand and enjoy this feature?
I’m an instructor, I love to find easy & playful use cases. Otherwise, anyone can read a “dictionary definition lesson”.
Can you find sth? Like Brain Games of Science of Stupid?

Love the “kebab text” :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:. Can be useful for string management to insert hyphens.

Are you asking me to be creative?
That would involve using the right half of my brain. I killed that off with alcohol years ago :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyway, I’ll try.

Imagine your app has a welcome screen/tab, which you only want to show to “unregistered” users. The way you tell if a user is registered or not is that you have a boolean column - let’s call it “Is Registered” - in your User Profiles table, and once a user is registered, you have an action that sets that column to true.

So you want to set a visibility condition on your welcome tab, so that it only appears for new users. You might be tempted to do something like “where Is Registered is false”, but that wouldn’t work, for the reasons I pointed out earlier. So armed with this shiny new IsFalsey column, what you could do is point that at the “Is Registered” column, and now your visibility condition can be “where IsFalsey is true” - and that will work.

But that’s a really bad example, and doing that would be a bit silly. Because you may as well just do “Is Registered is not true” and be done with it.

Okay, that’s the limit of my creativity. I’m sure somebody else can give you a much better example.

4 Likes

Very kind of you :cherry_blossom: to try, Darren.
OK, I’ve made a “sightseeing tour” of the Data Editor & Computed Columns / plugins and registered somewhere in my head at least 1 possible example, except this one.
Some day, some one, maybe?
I’m sure the story with the “lie detector” can serve this purpose: any Sherlockians, Team-Loki & Spooks / Special Agents here?

I think Falsey and Truthy will compare to several different values. Falsey will return true if you feed it blank, false, no, 0, etc. Truthy is obviously the opposite and looks for positive values. If you look at the code, you can see the different values that it checks for. I think the point of these plugins are too check for a variety of different values that are true-like or false-like instead of checking only for true or not true.

3 Likes