Why does my app change appearance for no reason?

The below shows 2 screenshots of my app. You will note that the sheet tab that each screen points to is called “User Profiles” - yet the app appears to feature a different set of components for each screen. The first screenshot features components I have carefully created and customized (customized view). The second screenshot features components that seem to be some sort of default (default view). I do not know where these latter components come from.

All I did for this to happen was to temporarily change the tab away from “User Profiles” (to anything else) and then immediately come back to “User Profiles” - nothing else. Can anyone tell me why is this might be happening? Its almost like one is the ‘default’ view and one is the ‘customized’ view - but I am not sure what causes the change. Can anybody tell me how to get a single, permanent view associated with a featured tab?

screenshots - customized view

screenshots - generic view

Did you ever turn this option on somewhere in you app?

Thanks, @Jeff_Hager. Not sure where I should have been looking for the option you mentioned. It was not associated with either of the screenshots I showed. I looked all inside the app and had a hard time finding it anywhere but I finally did and turned I it on. It had no effect. I cannot make heads or tails of why I found it where I found it and the documentation really does not tell me much more. I wish I better understood which screens/which tabs etc. this option exists for as it was not something I consciously added.

I don’t know how you are getting to your ‘Add Payer’ screen. I only assumed from a list. If you have the setting turned on for the View Details action on the list, then that would cause each list item to have a different layout.

I can’t really determine how you are getting to that screen based on your screenshots, so I am only making assumptions.

https://docs.glideapps.com/all/reference/actions/link-detail-screen#independent-screen-configuration

Seeing that you updated your post, is it safe for me to assume that it’s the exact same screen, but only a before and after shot of when you changed the source sheet? Also, have you attempted to use the undo button to undo any changes you didn’t intend?

1. “I don’t know how you are getting to your ‘Add Payer’ screen.”
    I am reaching it starting from a menu item - see below:

1. I did read the link you sent first - but it did not help me figure out what was going on.

2. “Seeing that you updated your post, is it safe for me to assume that it’s the exact same screen, but only a before and after shot of when you changed the source sheet? Also, have you attempted to use the undo button to undo any changes you didn’t intend?”

Affirmative on both points. I simply changed the source sheet to somthing else for a second and then came back to the original sheet only to find my screen had changed.
And the undo button works. But I don’t want to continuously rely on it to get me to the screen I was expecting to see.

My only advice is, once you have a tab layout set, don’t mess with it more than you need to other than adding or removing components. Changing the source sheet or the style layout won’t guarantee that any changes you made previously are saved. Top level tab and link to screen views are always independent, so making a drastic change like changing the source sheet probably clears out all of the layout changes you made since glide probably assumes you are creating a brand new view when you change the source sheet and gives you a default to get started. You would be better off experimenting with a link to screen button or another tab to temporarily experiment with other settings or views.