Change to One Page Appears in Entire App

I’ve been using Glideapps for years and really love it, but there’s one thing I still don’t understand. When I think I’m making a change to one page in the app (ex: adding a separator) the change then appears in every page of the app. Or perhaps I see an audio component when I think I’m looking at a specific page and think, “What’s that doing here? I’ll just delete it”, well, the audio component gets deleted from some other page (I’ve got a lot of audio and video components). Why does this happen and how do I know that I can confidently make a change to one page that will not affect any others?

Appreciate the help,

Michael

This happens with Details screens. A details screen is attached to a table, and will be the same anywhere that you use it with a “Show Details Screen” action.

If you want a different details view of the same table, there are two options:

• Use visibility conditions to hide or show specific components based on context. So when viewing a screen in one part of your app, component X could be visible, but hidden in another part of your app. This is good for simple use cases, but can get quite cumbersome and difficult to manage if you have several different views and lots of components.
  • The second option is to use a “Show New Screen” action instead of a “Show Details Screen”. This essentially gives you a new blank canvas that is tied to the action that triggers it.
4 Likes

@Darren_Murphy Hi Darren! Thank you for your answer. I have a similar problem regarding the basic table. I’ve added basic tables on a few pages, but when I make a change on the left row of the basic table, it automatically changes it on all pages.

How can I avoid this from happening? (I’m very new to Glide and not very tech-savvy, so if you could explain it in a very simple way, I’d appreciate it so much!!)

The answer is basically the same. You can either add multiple Basic Table components, and then use visibility conditions to hide/show them depending on context, or use a show new screen action so that you get a different details screen.

@Darren_Murphy I see, thank you for your reply. And where/how can I see the show new screen action? (I’ve tried to look but couldn’t find it…) I have a lot of pages so I fear that if I have to add multiple Basic Table components I’ll end up with like 20 or more

Normally you would do it as a list/collection item action. The default action is always Show Details Screen → This Item. You would need to change that to Show New Screen → This Item.