What counts as a user for a Private Pro app?

What constitutes a USER? I have a l
legacy Pro App and have to now choose between “Pro App” and “Private Pro App”

The Private Pro suits our needs because we need to control sign-ins to the app. We have 200 members that need to sign in. Does that mean they are “users” and have to pay $2 per month each?

The Pro app is what we need, but the semi-private is a problem as it is a members only site.

I believe a “user” is a unique sign-in to the app, measured on a monthly basis. There are 20 users included with the Private Pro package, with additional users at $1.50 per user on top of that (when billed annually).

Problem is we are a non-profit and and additional $270 a month (180 extra users at $1.50 each) is not an option. Total $40 + $270 would be $310 a month and not possible for us.

I don’t understand the logic behind this pricing. This is not a commercial app and therefore not a heavily used app. Some “users” never use it and others once or twice a week.
Why so expensive?

1 Like

You would only be charged for active users in a month. If some user’s don’t use the app in a given month, you wouldn’t be charged for them.

The pricing for private pro apps is geared towards businesses so they don’t get a business app at a very low price. That is how glide has chosen to price their product so they can remain profitable. Larger businesses help subsidize the cost of services for users of free or low cost apps. Most businesses will require the privacy that a Private Pro subscription provides, or the extra services that an Enterprise plan provides.

Have you inquired about any potential non-profit pricing?

Otherwise, I would attempt to structure the app to work with a Public Pro subscription, but with enough security in place to prevent outside users from accessing much of the app. For the most part, it can be done, but may require some workarounds to get Row Owners to work with multiple users. If data security isn’t such a big issue, then you could just control visibility of tabs and components to hid content (not secure, but a deterrent for the average user).

Data security (personal information) is our biggest issue and is why we went to Pro. (Specifically because of the whitelisting.)

Even with the non-profit pricing the price goes from $288 a year to $912 a year! More than we can afford.

I will have to look at the workarounds, but we don’t want anyone to have access to any part of the app, except members.

Signing in with email each time and getting a pin is not an option. Of course it would cut down on users! (Not our goal :grinning:)

Our Pro app now shows 0 Active users. That is why I am confused as to what an active user is. Why does someone become an active user?

just get a regular PRO App with a sign-in option… then create a visibility filter for all tabs… that only approved emails can use it… or protect all columns with roles and give roles to sign in users that you approved

Thanks Uzo, That sounds so easy. But how would people signin? My big worry is that they would have to put in their email every time they wanted to open the app. That would be onerous.

no, only the first time from a new device, until they won’t sign out… you can try it first on a free app… so you will get confident

This might work then. Each tab would have a visibility filter with a list of all the emails of members. I will give it a try. Thank YOU

Users sheet will have all the emails, then just do visibility condition … if sign in user is approved… you don’t need to have list of emails in all tabs

I guess I’m not understanding something. If you don’t want user’s to have to sign in with their email, then how are you authenticating users now? Aren’t you still using the whitelist of emails which would require a user to sign in with an email and pin? Signing in with an email and pin should still only be a one time process until a user explicitly signs out or clears their browser cache.

Restricting what is visible in the app is easy with the right visibility conditions and filtering, but keep in mind that the data is still downloaded to the device of any random user that would sign in, whether or not they can visibly see stuff in the app. The data is still there and the right user could snoop that data. If data security is of the utmost importance, then that’s where you want to restrict who has access to the app in the first place. Row Owners is another option, but when you have 200 users, it becomes clumsy to implement. You can apply psuedo Roles that are just visibility conditions base on a user profile column value, but it doesn’t secure the data. Using actual Roles (which are only available in Private Pro apps) will secure the data, just like Row Owners does. Proper Role security allows you to apply Row Ownership to a role as opposed to an email. I would recommend spending some time reviewing this documentation to understand proper data security.

Also, I think it was mentioned in a prior post several weeks ago (maybe where you were the one asking), but active user counts only apply to Private Pro apps and even then, probably not on legacy apps. Still, I don’t usually rely on that count on the dashboard. All that matters is that each user that signs into the app within a month is considered an active user. Even if they do it only once within that month.

2 Likes

Private app pricing, and what we count as a user, is answered on both our Pricing FAQ, and Support Page FAQ:

1 Like

Our pricing page doesn’t know whether you are a non-profit or not. Non-profits are not our main customer.