Using email address domain as filtering

Hello. I am creating an app for many different businesses. I simply want to allow them to view their content without a lengthy registration or a lot of work from me.

I am adding @domain.com in the rows that I want that company to view. I tried creating this email column as row owner, but that doesn’t work. I have tried adding filtering rules:

But this does not work either. Any help would be appreciated!

This will need to be in a text column that’s set as the Role in the user’s table.

Robert. Thank you. I have been watching a lot of your videos. But my main concern is that I still have to add in roles for every business member. Why doesn’t my filtering rule work in this instance? Is there any other Google sheets automation I can do to speed this up?

Bit difficult to say, but it looks like you might be using “is included in” where you should be using “includes” - what does the Email column actually contain?

Question: How important is data security? That is, if a user from one company is able to discover the data of another company, would that be a problem? If it would, then filtering is not the correct solution.

Mr Murphy, thank you for your response. Filtering by company is sufficient for their usage. They just want to see their own data pertaining to their company, but none is sensitive for an individual user.

My email column contains “@domain.com” In theory the statement should work, but it never gave me the desired outcome.

I knowingly tried every operator available, but none of them gave me the results I desired. I swapped values and effects as well :(.

I just did a quick test, and it works for me.

Email in user profile is darren@example.com.

With filter:

Without filter:

Do you have Row Owners in the mix anywhere?

You are a genius, thank you. I got it working. There were empty fields under my email column and was including all data. I added a 2nd condition and it worked like a charm.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.