User Types?

Can I create user types/groups? I want to have certain data viewable to only certain people, ie our event volunteers. I’m hoping I can do it by group, rather than having to give every single individual person permission.

The easiest way to do that is to create a “Role” column and assign each user to a specific role. Then, you can use conditional visibility parameters so that only certain roles can view certain information - just remember that it doesn’t keep the data from downloading to ALL devices. You would need to create User Specific Columns for true security

1 Like

What do you mean by downloading to devices? I’m not worried about super secure info, like passwords, socials or anything like that. I just want to hide the info if possible for our general attendees. But you’re saying it will still download to peoples’ devices? What does that mean exactly?

Every time a user opens your app, all information from your source (i.e.; Glide Tables, Google Sheets, an Excel spreadsheet, etc.) is downloaded to their device so that the information can be shown - this includes key information, especially user created passwords. That’s why it’s important to use User Specific Columns if you’re going to allow for individual accounts in your app, that way the user is only downloading the information included in their specific row. If the info that will be presented doesn’t need to be private or secured, just use conditional visibility with the components or tabs that you do / don’t want people to see.

ADDITION: If I understand the process correctly, Glide caches the entire app’s worth of data on the user’s device to ensure that it’s still available when / if the device experiences a connectivity issue

Partially true. While values in User Specific Columns will be unique to each user, it’s best to only use user specific columns if multiple users are updating the same row, but still need unique values in certain columns within that row.

If each user is creating their own rows, then it’s best to use Row Owners if a user should only have access to their own rows. With Row Owners, you can also utilize Role functionality which can apply row ownership to all users with the same role instead of one specific usercs email address. Keep in mind that when using true Role functionality, each user with a role will be considered a Private user.

If data is security is not a concern, then you can use a psuedo role. This would be a column in the user profile that golds a role value, but is not part of the official user profile role function. That psuedo role can be used for filters, but will not truly secure the data.

2 Likes

I meant Row Owners :man_facepalming:

1 Like