đź’¬ Updated: Group Chat Template v2!

Now available in the Glide Template Store!

Group Chat is a spin on my Messenger Template that, well, allows for group messaging!

Features:

• Efficient: only one row per person and one row per chat
  • Private: row owners per chat to prevent prying eyes, anonymized users default setting, user history per app, chat host can control who is/is not in the group
  • Fun: compound actions to create floating action menus and responsive “add user to chat” functionality

Grab the template here:

EDIT: Updated on 5/4/21

20 Likes

Very cool. Here’s hoping that Santa David grants your Christmas wish!

2 Likes

Bravo. I am ready for the template. No pressure!

:star_struck: It’s almost ready—

11 Likes

Looking awesome!

3 Likes

Super cool! :sunglasses: Great work guys!

1 Like

that’:cool:
excellent job @Robert_Petitto

1 Like

Good job, man!

1 Like

Amazing, @Robert_Petitto!! Love the floating menu, neat :grin:

2 Likes

@Robert_Petitto awesomesauce indeed :clap:

1 Like

I love it.

1 Like

:exploding_head:

@Robert_Petitto That’s so perfect. I also like the promo video. Bravo

@Robert_Petitto Very nice looking app :slight_smile:

A few questions on privacy:

• Are you using row owers to secure the chat information to the involved people - so you cannot get hold of the chat by doing app inspection?
  • When a person leaves the chat is there a way for the app owner to find out that the person did actual participate in that chat - say the the person shared his bank account information - and he now wants to clean up all traces of person information in the chat app? Possibly a e-mail history column
  • Do you use anonymous emails in the chat so the email cannot be found by outsiders by app inspection?
  • Can the app owner owner delete an user all together and then remove all his/her comments in the app? Actually it might be beneficial to see that there has been a comment but it is now removed - it will help the other people in the chat understand why some later chat messages could be referring to a deleted chat message.

I think such questions are important for the people who are going to use the template as they themselves would have to outline this information to their users. The app owner is responsible for the users personal information that they put in the app.

4 Likes

Great work

It would be nice if you could easily copy a set of components from one app to another, functionality + datastructure + interaction.

2 Likes

Good point! Just revised it!

Are you using row owners?
Yes, each chat’s users are now row owners—I had to build a combination of formulas in the spreadsheet to make this happen. @Mark, it would be nice to allow Split Column to be a row owner column to avoid this.

When a person leaves the chat is there a way for the app owner to find out that the person did actual participate in that chat ?
Yes, the “invited users” column will always include all users that ever participated in the chat.

Do you use anonymous emails in the chat?
This can be enabled in settings with no adverse effects. I had it disabled for the sake of the promo video.

Can the app owner owner delete a user all together and then remove all his/her comments in the app?
Yes, as the app owner, you can remove the user and all comments from the Privacy menu in the App Settings.

Thanks for the reminders and recommendations, @Krivo and for the genius idea of stacked floating buttons. It was a lot of fun to design!

6 Likes

Grab the template here:

11 Likes

How did you do the secondary floating button menu from the first floating button? I can’t seem to find how to do this in the editor.

I’ve done it using component visibility and adding and subtracting numbers, don’t know if Robert did it the same way. So let’s say the menu button adds +1 and the close -1. Then you can play with the visibility based on the values. The number column has to be user specific

4 Likes