Make chat option private

Hi,

The chat option makes it a ‘group chat’ type of thing.

I’m making a takeaway app and want to make the chat feature come directly to us (the takeaway app) and not for everyone using the app.

So if someone wants to order food, they can message the app to ask questions etc.

Thanks,
Jack

1 Like
1 Like

Yeah it looks really cool, so is there way to change the current chat into a direct messenger one?

Can’t change it…but you can hide it and then build your own. Here’s the one I built:
messenger.glideapp.io

2 Likes

Please for for this feature here:

everytime I click one of your apps I have to sign up with my email - it’s like some dodgy funnel you lot have gpt going on :tired_face:

Hi @Jack_London…the majority of Glide apps that require any sort of user customization, user profile (including messaging), etc. requires that users sign into the app. If you’re hesitant about giving away personal identification in order to test out an app, then I recommend creating an anonymous email address for the sole purpose of testing Glide apps.

2 Likes

This will help all thanks to @Lisa

Watch @Lisa last video

1 Like

Hey! Great messenger-type app… is there screenshots or steps to how your spreadsheet or behind the scenes app layout? Trying to do something similar.

@XL-STEAMS I don’t know which app you are talking about, or if you meant this for me. I only shared a couple of other posts. There are quite a few posts on this subject and the one that @Glider shared above is pretty descriptive. If you are referring to the https://concepts2.glideapp.io/ app buried in some of the conversations linked to in my April post, then that app is already able to be copied, so you can copy and see how it works.

The app is full delete some notes please

Me? Which app? What notes?

concepts app

The notes when i copied it it was full and i had to delete some notes @Jeff_Hager

The link I posted above has 3 rows total at this moment. If you are talking about the original concepts app and you have a copy, you can delete what you want from that copy. It’s yours.

1 Like

Hello is there a spreadsheet or screenshots of one that would help us build one?

Hi Robert, is this app copyable or a look at the glide data editor?

My messenger app is in the template store (but I recommend waiting — if Glide approves my group messaging template, then I’m going to lower the cost of this template).

2 Likes

Hi Robert,
just came across your example of a 1:1 chat app.

I do assume, that you make the chat rows private with row ownership on an array column holding the email addresses of the sender and receiver when the chat record is created, right?

But then you would need to have the email addresses of all potential receivers accessible in the app which could be visible with some tricks, even if they are not shown in any list.

Would there be a way to never expose those email addresses in any way?

Thank you for your ideas.

Good call. I should redo my app template to instead use rowIDs rather than emails. I’ll let you know when the concept is complete.