User specific column associated with a profile column different to email

I wonder if it would be possible to associate a user specific column with a profile column different to email.
Use case 1.
A game where different teams have to make some tasks and they can buy some items to help them. Every profile has a team column with the same value.
Any member of the team A can mark a task as done or buy any item and only team A members can see it
Use case 2
Home work tracking by parents. Every student and his/her parents profiles have a family column with the same value. Teachers write the homework and each student marks a task as done and his/her parents can see what’s done and what is uncompleted

I assume you’re using a public with email app. Here are my thoughts.

I think user-specific columns are assigned to each logged in user, and one specific cell of data can store multiple values, based on which user is logging in.

In your case 1, if team A members need to check only 1 specific cell to mark the task as done, then just use conditional visibility so only team A’s members can see that switch/checkbox. That value will show for all team A’s members’ accounts.

In your case 2, show the checkbox to the user based on the “family column”. If it needs to be a checkbox on a homework sheet (that multiple students can mark as done) then I think what you want is a submission that writes to another sheet.

1 Like

Both cases are the same. Every team must achieve the same targets and can buy the same items.
By now I’m doing it with submission, but lines grow too fast: 30 students in a class group, 10 subjects, 2 tasks each subject = 600 lines
That’s the reason I’m asking for this feature

So it’s like a rollup over user specific column? Multiple users can tick on the same box but the “total” value must still be presented to all users who can see the record?

No. Just one chek on each item by team or student and each team or family can see all the checked items by any team member or by the student. It’s like a “group favorite”

So for example, if I’m team A and you’re also team A, if I favorite item X, you can see that I favorited that, but you still have the ability to favorite item X yourself?

No. Once any team member has marked an item that item belongs to the team. It is unnecessary to mark it again
Once the student checks a homework as done the famiy can see it’s done. Parents don’t need to do homework :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Yeah, I was just asking to see if there’s a workaround.

Recently Glide enabled the option for us to download user-specific data as well and what I see is they store them on different rows. As of now it seems like your cases can’t be done without using a lot of rows though. Hopefully they will find a way for this to happen.

Thanks for your time and your thoughts

1 Like

I would maybe just have a column in your task sheet and fill it with ‘Team A’ for example? So, one row for each team. Then just filter those rows to only show if the user profile team matches the row’s team column value. In your example, if each team consists of 2 students, then it would cut the rows down to 300 rows. It would reduce more rows if the groups are bigger.

2 Likes

I’m wondering if you could use some trickery with Template columns and Set Row action to ultimately generate a comma separated list of teams per task that have marked it done. Then, use filtering if User Profile > Team column is included in the comma separated list. It’s basically what I’m doing here:

2 Likes

Theoretically it’s completely possible, just that it doesn’t have a way back when you want to revert it to not done.

1 Like

Right…same is true with my messaging app :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Thanks. I like your job. That’s a good solution but I need the users can revert an item to no done. May be a student checks a homework as done but his/her parents verify that’s not true or may be a team checks an item as achieved by error.
I’m working on a solution based on scripts and submission.
When a user marks an item as achieved/ not achieved it will be submitted to an aux sheet.
The first script will be triggered each time the aux sheet changes.
If it is a new mark it will be logged in another sheet, say “Items achieved”, and by mean of formulas it would be added to a comma separated list of items to each family or team member.
If it is a mark deleting the script will search for that item in “Items achieved” and delete its row.
The app doesn’t use “Items achived” so it doesn’t matter how many lines it has.
The second script will be triggered each night to delete the aux sheet.

1 Like