šŸ†• UPDATED Glidegram - social media app (follow/unfollow, unread messages & more)

Hi Gliders,

After several days of working through the kinks, Iā€™m sharing my first public app, Glidegram!

The Glide team has been so consistent with new features, I wanted to create a social media app using some, if not all, of the newest releases.

The app has the following features:

• Direct messaging (private chat and chat requests)
  • Following (favorites)
  • Carousel posts
  • Post comments
  • Archiving posts
  • Activity (or ā€˜notificationsā€™) section
  • Saving posts
  • Reporting users

Iā€™m looking forward to creating more tailored apps for broader use cases, but this one was a lot of fun.

19 Likes

Very nice app, clean and efficient, congrats!

Just one thing : in the profile section, thereā€™s an empty circle tile, as shown in this screenshot :

I love also the About section :+1:t2:

2 Likes

Looks great. Very polished. Noticed I have a second profile image placeholder.

1 Like

Thank you! @Robert_Petitto @Christophe_HK I saw that bug as well. It may have something to do with me adding another column to the 'App: Login" sheet? I used the UNIQUE formula as the source for the user profile emails on my user profile sheet.

I ended up filtering to remove the blank placeholder. Looks like that did the trick.

1 Like

First of all, gorgeous app! I also just want to warn you about using the UNIQUE formula to build a user profile sheet from the app: logins sheet. If any of the data in App: Logins is ever shuffled around or deleted, itā€™s going to break all of your user profiles because the data in that sheet will be reshuffled and not match up with any other user profile columns you have. I would recommend using Glides built in User Profiles to automatically create a user profile record with email in your user profile sheet.

https://docs.glideapps.com/all/reference/privacy-and-per-user-data/user-profiles

3 Likes

Thank you @Jeff_Hager! And youā€™re right, I believe that was causing the issue with the bug.

Iā€™ll need to adjust some things so that user profiles arenā€™t relying on that formula. Thank you for the resource! :+1:

2 Likes

Hey Lisa,

canĀ“t make the direct chat function working.

Hi Nico, can you share a screenshot? The chat is designed so that the user you want to chat with has to ā€˜acceptā€™ the chat first. Let me know what bug youā€™re seeing and I can try to figure whatā€™s going on.

Thanks for testing!

Looks lovely. How did you create the about page with those various sub-pages? Also, the private chat seems really interesting, I didnā€™t see in the help documentation how to create that?

1 Like

@Nico, I believe I fixed this bug. Let me know if you can see the requests and pending chats or if you run into a different bug.

1 Like

Thank you @Stephanie_Bonnet. I created an ā€œAboutā€ sheet with one row for each (legal, policy, etc.). I made that tab a ā€˜detailā€™ tab and pulled in the information using an inline list.

For the image, I used the ā€˜Single valueā€™ function and pulled in an image I have saved on a sheet called ā€˜UIā€™ for images and such that have one value that I like to use across the entire app (images, links, etc.)

2 Likes

For private chat, my approach was creating a ā€˜chatā€™ form. By adding ā€˜commentsā€™ to chats and setting the topic as the ā€˜chat Idā€™ , each chat has itā€™s own set of comments.

Users only see the chats they are added to or created using a filter and visibility conditions.

1 Like

Thank you. I had done this but put the various elements of the about page as ā€œcolumnā€ instead of rows. I will modify this according to your model.

Loved playing with this.
Any idea why I see this? Username already taken?

I have a messages template in the store that you could use if you wanted to see behind the scenes:
https://www.glideapps.com/templates/GgjCXWmFRfjKpCG3Fs9j-template

1 Like

Thanks for testing @sardamit!

That was me playing around with a formula to create an alert for when thereā€™s a duplicate username. Almost worked, but itā€™s too dependent on Google sheets formula.

Iā€™m looking forward to more advanced Glide formulas so that it can all happen in Glide :slight_smile:

1 Like

Awesome job! Loved this clean design, congrats @Lisa :clap:

1 Like

Thank you @Lucas_Pires :grinning:

1 Like

@Robert_Petitto: Your messenger app looks slick, love it!

For our use case, we are looking to enable private chat for when a user is on a specific listing (detail layout) so that instead of looking up users to instigate a private chat, they would click a button on listing which would put them in direct private contact with the person who owns the listing.

Is this doable?

Also, as chats pile up in the sheet, I presume they count as rows and therefore could at some point exceed the row quotas in Glide?

@Lisa: Love your app, and in particular your solution for the about page!

1 Like

Hi Garrison,

Yes, this can be done! In stead of using the user information from the user profile, youā€™d Use the user info from the listing to create the chat. Since the chat leverages the comments feature, it doesnā€™t count against row quota. Only one row per chat is used (to house the info connecting one user to the other).

1 Like