šŸ†• UPDATED Glidegram - social media app (follow/unfollow, unread messages & more)

Thanks Robert!

Just to be clear, we donā€™t have users per se who own the listings as we have rapidly onboarded them by manually creating their listings in our Sheet. Each listing contains their email.

Presumably private chat wouldnā€™t work unless they are also created as users? i.e. we would need to create a separate sheet for them as users, and make a relationship with their listing?

The ā€œstart new chatā€ button injects userIDs and the like to make the relation happen. You could probably just copy/paste the userIDs/emails into the correct columns in the Google Sheet to prepoulate the chats.

@garrison thank you for checking out the app!

Love it! Gonna try to figure out how you did the carousel toggle on uploadā€¦ thanks for sharing!

1 Like

@Jaybird_Farrow thanks! I set the visibility array image fields (Image 2, Image 3, etc.) to show only if the preceding field is ā€not emptyā€)

And made the second image field (Image 2) appear when the carousel toggle is set to true.

1 Like

Excelente app ā€¦design fantĆ”sticosā€¦Deu um trabalhĆ£oā€¦

1 Like

Awesome app, hopefully glideapps will integrate private messaging as a components soon or a feature since if we create our own chat system using the sheets. Privacy is the number one concern. because we can basically read all their conversations. which is fine if we are only the admins but for multiple administrator / mods I think that will be a concern.

Iā€™m doing a similar approach for my community thank you for sharing this wonderful app keep it up :slight_smile:

1 Like

Beautiful App Lisa,
I was wondering if at some time in the feature there would be a share button?
Thanks, Chris

Thanks @Chris_Palmore!

Can you give more detail on what you mean by share button? What would you envision users being able to share with the button?

Hi Lisa, Thanks for responding.
I run Gratitudespace.com. For example, If I were to buy your design, Iā€™d want to make it a positive and gratitude only post place. The design of everything that I post or initiate out into the world is the element of sharing it on other platforms. So for example, if someone shared a picture of a handwritten letter to someone, they then would share it with that person or post it on the persons social media feed on twitter or Facebook. Basically what Facebook and Instagram do right now. Iā€™ve thought about this and maybe this isnā€™t possible because you are using spreadsheets and not individual URLs. Iā€™m curious to hear your thoughts.
Thanks, Chris

I did build this today and love it: https://lnqqa.glideapp.io/
Amazing software you all have produced!

Thanks Chris,

I think what youā€™re describing is deep linking, and youā€™re right - at this time Glide does not have that functionality.

However, this is on the teamā€™s road map. There are a few threads out there about this, but here is one:

2 Likes

Hello Lisa,

Great work, I really like the design and features you added !
Iā€™m trying out glide for some app :slight_smile: And I would like to add a direct message functionnality. Could you share what you have done here or explain it a little bit further (Iā€™m not really technichal, sorry)

Thank you for your time and, again, great work !

Thank you @Paquerette!

See the thread below for a video tutorial I did on creating 1:1 chat.

1 Like

Thanks a lot ! I didnā€™t see this other topic :blush:

1 Like

This is really well done! Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

One question Lisa:
How not to create a new chat each time the user click on ā€œsending a chat formā€ ?
Capture

I suppose the method Lisa taught us was designed so that each new topic creates a new discussion, kind of what we have here on Discourse but not what you expect. You want something like Messenger where there is only one 1v1 discussion between two users, right?

In that case, I think we can use some logic to hide the ā€œSending a chat formā€ button when a discussion has been kicked off. An idea is to have a template column joining the email of signed-in user and the second user, then have the same template column in the ā€œTopicsā€ sheet. Make a relation column matching them, if the relation is not empty then donā€™t show the button.

2 Likes

Yes exactly, it is for a one to one chat between users, like messenger.

I made the template column in the topic sheet.
But how can I create a row in the user sheet?

Edit : Solved !

1 Like

Great app!!! Keep it up!

1 Like

Hi Lisa, rather new to Glide. Thanks for archiving your chat video. Iā€™m keen to do something of the sort. Would you mind explaining how you populated the various columns you declared? It probably has something to do with setting up user accounts. If so, how did you achieve the dummy accounts? Basic question for an expert :wink: Thx for any suggestions and setup videos you may think are helpful. Have a blessed day. - EBU