Umm... what is going on with =UNIQUE?

I’m assuming this isn’t so much a bug as a quirk in the fact that people aren’t being made aware that User Profiles does this and Glide devs are trying to fix it so that you can turn it off or that it’s not on by default? Is that right?

It’s a good feature to have, and I just adjusted my scripts to accommodate… I like it, cause it actually lightens the amount of work my scripts were previously doing for new users… but now with every new sign-in, my usersheet is updating with two rows of data: first a row comes in with the email address in the column designated in User Profiles, and then a second or two later another blank row of data appears under it. Does that mean for every new user that comes in this sheet adds two rows? @Mark is it supposed to behave like that? I have my userIDs auto-generating in that sheet so those blank rows mess up the continuation of userIDs.

@John_Cabrera If you unset the User Profile sheet this shouldn’t happen anymore.

Ideally, though, you’d retire the old UNIQUE way of adding rows to that sheet in favor of User Profile. User Profiles will soon add more features you won’t want to miss.

2 Likes

So cryptic…

…LOVE it!

I’ve retired it, yes, and it’s a way better solution for me and lightens some of my scripting… but I am hitting a really frustrating wall right now that I can’t figure out… I don’t know if it’s a quirk on my end or yours… but about 75% of the time, a new sign-in adds not just one new row of data to the user sheet, but two new rows … the first is the new row with the user’s email address from User Profile… and then a moment later after the app has loaded, I get another blank row right under it. That blank row is scrambling things in my app, since I have my UserIDs auto generating, and blank lines add gaps in the numbering.

I’ve gone through my script with a fine tooth comb and I can’t find any reason that extra line is coming in other than Glide is sending another bit of blank data… perhaps based on the other two fields in User Profile (photo and name)??? Also as I mentioned, when I add a new row from scripts or otherwise, it doesn’t add just one blank row at the bottom, but but expands the sheet by 500 new blank rows. The only time one row of data adds is when it’s coming from Glide… which is why I suspect that’s what’s going on.

I tried to write a script to delete that blank row but it’s really really hacky and actually might delete a legit row of data if the script is running slow. Any chance you can give some insight on this?

That’s odd. I can’t think of anything in Glide that would make it add an empty row, but I’ll keep my eyes peeled.

sigh I was worried you’d say that. Gonna have to unhook it from that sheet and return to what I had before with UNIQUE until either others have experienced this or enough time has passed that I know it’s something on my end. Bummer, cause I really loved the ability for people to change their profile photo from there. :frowning:

I’d like only to use a User Profile sheet but not keeping using the UNIQUE way :frowning:
Suggestions or updates?

What’s stopping you?

@Mark I like to use images to create a nice layout to users complete the register (name, phone, etc) but we do it with when we tell the name is empty. Ok.

What I do. I create a Database sheet, where I put my complete register screen image link. I use Single Value on Data to do an Array.

So… How can I use signed-in user and this feature if glide won’t find my email there?

That’s why I don’t stop using UNIQUE (by now).

Eg.

Welcome Screen

Register Screen

Registered

I’m sorry, I don’t understand. Glide won’t find your email where?

In my Users Profile sheet if I don’t use Unique lol

I think there is a confusion in names here. You are talking about the User Profile feature, and I believe @Lucas_Pires is talking about his own User Profile sheet in his spreadsheet.

Yeah. Just comment that i wouldn’t like to use the =UNIQUE cuz sometimes it bugs depends on the number of logins.

Anyway, for me that’s the better way today.

@Lucas_Pires there is another way to do it without UNIQUE. It’s very new. I am having problems with it, but I think it might be my own scripts that are messing it up. Most people are getting it to work well.

1 Like

@Lucas_Pires you are aware of the new user profile feature in glide right? Just double checking because reading through the thread I wasn’t clear if you are or not. It completely replaces the need for unique or a script. I haven’t played with it yet, but @John_Cabrera appears to be having some issues with it.

1 Like

@Jeff_Hager I’ve already read about it.
But in the video @Robert_Petitto do, and that I’ve realized here, we have to select a sheet to call “User Profile”, where the informations gonna be.

And to do this way I do with images, I can’t without =UNIQUE

You can call the sheet whatever you’d like, but yes, you’ll need to specify the sheet where user data will be stored when users sign in.

I rewatched your video here and, got it… I have to call a sheet and select the fields i want before any login! Thanks!

2 Likes

Correct!

1 Like

The problem I’m having is when writing any additional data to a newly created row. I’m just using a pretty simple sheet.getRange(lastrowNun,columnNum).setValue(‘to absolutely anything at all’); and that simple script action causes an extra line to be added under it. If the function is triggered after the new row has already been added, it writes to that row perfectly with no added row. But if I want the onChange trigger to write that data the moment it comes in, the new row adds. This doesn’t happen with any other data that comes in from forms on other sheets. I have content being added as new rows to other sheets and the same onChange trigger causes the same function to write some additional data to those new rows without adding a new line. So I really can’t figure this out.

Currently my work around is to let the data finish writing and then have a final deleteRow(lastrowNum + 1) action clean that row up. But it’s hacky and could cause big problems if two people log in to the app at around the same time.