Tablet mode is live!

@Jeff_Hager and @Robert_Petitto been doing this same thing for months now. So much more design flex using a tile for title images. Only downside if you don’t get wrap for longer captions the way you get them with the Title component. Tbh, I wish you did. Not sure why Titles don’t have a wrap option for when Text is overlaid in the image.

But agreed, it’s a bit extra work, but worth it. There was also a small window were Image component didn’t have the favorite heart and tile did so it even provided that extra feature.

1 Like

@david, is this a free feature that non-pro account users can try? Or do you need to have a pro account?

yes, it’s free till July

1 Like

@Jaime, so how do you view it? I ticked the tablet box on my copy of app but it’s still in mobile layout?

@Krivo I agree wholeheartedly. I just wanted to offer an alternative with the tools that we have at our disposal right now instead of waiting if or when a feature will become available. I’m sure people want to get a product out as soon as possible instead of waiting for features with an unknown timeline. As a developer myself, my world is full of tricks and working with the tools I have. So, it’s in my nature to try to find solutions any way possible.

2 Likes

@simpler Are you viewing the app is a desktop browser with the published link, it will then display a button to show full screen. It won’t show it in the builder.

@Jeff_Hager, it shows on mac pro but doesn’t show on ipad as a tablet?!? On ipad, it’s still in mobile phone view

Got it. I don’t have an ipad, so I can’t test. I was under the impression that ipad user’s were getting the same view that you have on a desktop.

so was i…

@Krivo, how did you get it to show on ipad? it shows only in mobile view for me…

@simpler turn on tablet selection in Settings. Maybe you have to refresh. I worked for me

@Krivo, you’re right. I let it refresh overnight and it now shows the ‘full sceen’ button option. Thanks.

Really awesome, perfect for my needs! :+1:

Would love this to be dynamic i.e. open in desktop while in desktop, open in mobile while in mobile.

2 Likes

A little trick would be to install this as a desktop/homescreen icon or only give folks the full desktop address. Once the feature has been enabled in your Glide settings, the desktop app address is https://[appname].glideapps.com/full. It’ll take you directly to the desktop version without that interim mobile screen.

On iPad, for example, you can create a similar app icon for your home screen that opens this tablet version beautifully with no browser tabs. Exactly like the mobile version. Would be nice if we could enable similar install instructions for folks accessing on Tablets to install this version to their home screen, but you can direct your users to do so pretty easily.

You can install a desktop shortcut for this on a desktop/laptop as well… although it will open in the OS’s default browser.

And like I said, you can also just give them the desktop link. Or create a script on your own site that detects the browser and redirects to either link accordingly.

1 Like

According to my experience (macOS Chrome), linking to https://[appname].glideapps.com/full won’t work: user is immediately redirected to the standard https://[appname].glideapps.com and still needs to click on ‘Show fullscreen’. Please give it a try, and let us know if that’s also your experience.

Hi Pablo, can confirm it’s the same here.

I’m getting the same, when you share the link with desktop mode “/full” it redirects to standard link with mobile preview

Does anyone have a solution for this? I would like to share link with desktop view remaining on

indeed!

did any of you see the bug with tablet view and google login? if i try to connect with google while on desktop view i get kicked out but i f i connect on mobile view and then change all is ok…