Tablet mode is live!

PM sent.

This is an early preview release that we have not announced yet.

7 Likes

Just want to mention one thing I noticed…usually when you are on a tab and a couple of levels deep into subcategories, you can tap on the tab icon again and it will take you back to the top level. This doesn’t seem to happen on the fullscreen version, so you have to click the back button several times to get back to the top level. Otherwise, it’s looking good from the little I played with it so far.

Sorry about that, I was getting -a little bit too much- excited :confused:

No it’s fine! We released it so people could try it and complain :wink:

9 Likes

I’m gonna jump into this and say, wow! I’m loving this. Of course, a lot of my formatting need to be adjusted to account for both versions of the app, but happy to do that. I’m also seeing quirks with this version (testing on iPad and Desktop), but I’m incredibly excited and hopeful all will be resolved eventually.

One thing that seems very obvious is need for visibility conditions on components based on Desktop view or Mobile view. There are some component settings that simply aren’t ideal in Desktop view. For example inline lists: 2:3 and 3:4 (portrait) tiles in horizontal layout. On the phone you may want the largest size for these since a phone’s portrait ratio will show you the whole image… but on a desktop view, since the image is stretching to fit the screen, that image will be cut off and you have to scroll down to see the bottom portion of it. So in that case, you’d want your inline list to show two images of the tile set on the screen (second largest down). If we had a visibility condition based on being in Desktop or Mobile, we could have two versions of the same component… one visible in Desktop and one visible in mobile. @Mark I believe this is what people are talking about when they say “images cut off”. It’s not a bug, but just the way a horizontal desktop layout is going to display full width portrait images that previously filled the mobile screen nicely.

Just tried the tablet layout on an iPad. Loading screen appears - and then black screen. The app has just crashed :frowning:

Reinstalled the app - and it came alive.

Exactly! I was just going to mention that…specifically the Title components. Title components already crop the photo by quite a bit…even worse now. Title needs the ability to center to face like image and tiles…otherwise, I’m just going to use image components from now on.

Configurable Image size for Title field
While we’re at it…this:
Emoji as Title Image?

1 Like

Guys,

I think this is a huge jump of glide to support organizations needs. Practicly any customer ask me for a desktop support. I see this is an amazing step taken by glide to become a true all in one platform and can’t wait for the next phase that will allow us more control on the view and mainly horizontal capibilities that wider screen allow. Good job guys @david, @Mark and the rest of the team.

Kudos

5 Likes

@mark @Robert_Petitto has already shown some images. But I can also show it.
app url: app.mitbagsvaerd.dk

The look on iPhone (yes - title component in the top)

The look on iPad- the images is cropped very much. To a level where it isn’t useful.

Ah now I see what you’re saying. My example was slightly different. Mine is the way Tile images display. On Desktop, a full screen portrait tile requires the user to scroll to see the bottom part of it. Something that they wouldn’t need to do on Mobile. So certain components might be perfect for mobile viewing, and just really bad design for desktop landscape layouts. Visibility conditions based on Desktop or Mobile seems like the most straight forward way around this. Then we simply have two versions of components (or use different types of components) based on what is needed for which version of the app.

@mark navigation to the screen Take away will end up showing the take away different depending on the navigation path. This is not intuitive to me.

url: https://app.mitbagsvaerd.dk

I tried two different paths.

1. Home -> image with link to screen -> Take away screen
  2. Home -> Take away tab -> Take away screen

1 Like

great update, and it makes sense for it to be a pro feature.

one thing i noticed is that i couldn’t login via google in fullscreen mode

me too. same problem with the login with google. I did manage to get in with email and pin

same behavior. when the list is on a tab itself it goes left and details open in th middle. but when I use link to screen on a button the list is open in the middle like @Krivo shows here

Not that this solves the problem of the image cropping, but lately I’ve been creating a relation from a sheet back to itself and then using the relation, I use a tile or card in place of title or image components. I love the extra design flexibility it gives me.

Great minds think alike! I’ve been doing that too!..though not nearly as often as just inserting an image. IMO, Glide should either update the Title component or make image component captions more robust.

3 Likes

You announced it on Twitter though :wink:

@Jeff_Hager a bit of topic for this tread, sorry. We shouldn’t need to do such tricks, Jeff. The title component should be able do do these things it itself. Actually when you are using an image - being in tile, cards, title, image component - then the same “image manipulation” features should be present. Thereby you can do a consistent layout of the app and actually use the right component for the job.

1 Like

@Robert_Petitto couldn’t agree more. Actually responded to Jeff before I saw your comment :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: