Tab Visibility šŸ‘€

Great job! Now I can turn two app into only one! :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Robert_Petitto @nathanaelb Me and my friend are talking about potentially using this for a username - password experience but itā€™s just an idea now. What do you think about it?

Iā€™m thinking of two user-specific columns for email and password in a public app, which will then be joined by a template column. If that template column matches a combination of email - password inside our sheet then show content, otherwise ask them to submit a new profile.

2 Likes

Ooo creative!

1 Like

Smart. Thatā€™s a good one! :muscle:

1 Like

Other category of use cases then, derived from your suggestions:

• In general, start app with a gated screen or flow of screens until the user takes action: onboarding, login username + password, submits information for user profile, uploads a document, app announcement, checks a box (T&Cs, GDPR?), etc.
5 Likes

As I was typing that out I thought about using it for solving the dilemma that we have had for so long, which is a middleground between public and public with email.

Restaurants, marketplaces want people to see their products without logging in, and only requires a login when they purchase things. Can we also use this username - password method to provide some kind of a login workaround button?

Letā€™s say when people want to make a purchase but their user-specific column containing email & password is empty, show them a button that links to a screen where they can input their email & password. If that matches one in our sheet then show the buy button. Link the purchase to the email stored in the user-specific column.

4 Likes

In theory it sounds like a great idea. You wonā€™t know for sure until you try to implement! :wink:

2 Likes

Wouldnā€™t that require the app admin manually adding the various user-pw combos to the sheet so that the user can match with one? Or am I missing something

We might use a form to submit that, which says something like ā€œIf you have not registered an account, click hereā€.

1 Like

That was my exact idea when I read about this. My premium app has additional features that are not tabs though (notes, favourites) but certainly could work for hiding/revealing the map tab.

Other thought was along what you said too: have one tab per country for instance and people get access to them when they buy that country info.

@JackVaughan does this work if the tab is a different view of a main sheet or does it have to be that the tab is coming from one specific sheet only?

Let me know as I was thinking the same thing - Make it a public app but then have a login screen that then covers all of the ts and cs and sign-up stuff, and it then transfers into a public with email app.

3 Likes

Great for developing new tabs/screens (or redesigning an existing tab/screen) behind a cloak of invisibilityā€¦Once you have finished ā€˜playing aroundā€™ just make the new one visible or if your redesigning just then hide the old one and replace with the new one. Cool :sunglasses:

5 Likes

@ThinhDinh

this is really powerful, will it create a demo model?

but is this option available for public application?

I wonder if it could be used to switch on the hamburger menu.

I plan to create one and will post it to the community when itā€™s ready, of course I plan it to be a public one.

1 Like

In relation to the public, I am asking why here for me, the option is not enabled.

What ā€œoptionā€ are you referring to? Sorry I canā€™t catch it.

Here, see, this application is public, and the option is not enabled.

More when I choose a public app with email it enables.

Thatā€™s why I asked.

You have not configured User Profiles for it, when you have enabled it, it will work with a public app.

3 Likes

Got it, thanks for the guidance.

2 Likes