Storing and Updating Deep Links Automatically?

Looking to see if there is a way to store a deep link and if there are any changes to that deep link, automatically update it.

Pretty frustrating if you change something, the deep link changes as well, causing big potential issues for me.

Basically, I have setup a Link in Bio type of app, where users can build their own personal profile and include things about themselves and posts they’ve made. I’ve created a Rebrandly link based off their profile’s deep link, which they can then copy and share it within their social media profile.

Problem is, if I end up updating/editing their profile tab, the deep link changes, thus making the Rebrandly link invalid. I have a button in place to Update the Rebrandly link, but thats a manual process. In addition, I dont really know what exactly triggers a change in the deep link, so I only know if someone tells me its not working. And if it doesnt work for 1 person, it doesnt work for everyone.

What I’d like is if the deep link can be stored and then if there is a change, its also changed. I can then trigger a Zapier event to automatically update the Rebrandly link, thus never having to worry about an incorrect deep link.

Or I am open to other suggestions/workarounds.

3 Likes

Thinking maybe setting a separate app tied to the same google sheet, but houses just the public profiles. This way the profiles are still updated content wise, but I never risk having it mess up

How are you currently getting the deep link to the Sheet? Last time I try the set column did not work at all.

I dont currently store any deep links into my sheets. I have a button on each public profile that sends the deep link to Rebrandly via Zapier to create a custom link. I then use Zapier to update that same User’s Row in my sheet with the Rebrandly link.

I also use a button to update the deep link in Rebrandly pretty much the same way. I just dont want to have to manually go into each profile and update their deep link if it gets changes for some reason.

Here’s my attempt to decode that from a few months ago.

1 Like

Yea it would be good to know what influences the deep link so you know ahead of time if your actions will cause a change. I know I moved the tab from the 3rd tab to the 2nd and it caused the link to change as well.

So I just created a 2nd App that uses the same sheet, but will only host the public profiles. Therefore, I can manipulate my primary app while not risking of messing up the deep links for the public profiles. Hoping that keeps things more stable.

2 Likes

Hi
I haven’t dealt with deep links on Glide before, but it seems that this issue (feature?) isn’t fully resolved.
Assuming my GS has a Row ID column, or using a Glide Table, is there no way to have another column that will store links to each of these details pages?
And, assuming we solved the previous step, are these links constantly changing? If they do, how do we send them out to users and avoid a broken link?
PS - As far as I could tell, the only way to generate this link is with an action. We can set a custom action to “set values” with this link, but that requires user to take action. That won’t work… :frowning:
Thanks

Yes, that’s true.

No, unless you have a user action to do that, as I detailed above.

And per my decoding attempt, it looks like if you have a details view of the same row but in different tabs, the deep link will change.

This also implies that you should be careful about the name of the screen.

Wow, that’s “interesting” :crazy_face:
What is the logic behind this? Not possible to simply use the Row ID to build this link?

And if the RowID was used in 37 different screens…? :wink:

1 Like

Sure, but that’s the beauty of Glide. isn’t it?
Is there any other way to obtain a URL that represents a deep link? Something that will allow us to send the user to the right place with one click.

I tried a lot to reinvent the wheel by taking the necessary info and encoding them, but my attempts have gone nowhere.

I think Glide used UTF-16LE but I haven’t been able to reproduce it.

How do you bulk export a bunch of deep links ? For example I have a custom form on a detail page of several different accounts and I’d like to bulk export all the URL’s and then feed them into some QR code generator.

You can go to the target page and copy the url.
Then paste this url into a temp column but replace the rowid with a variable, such as ROWID and point it towards that row’s ID.

Thus you would get something like:

Target Page URL:
https://testlink/a/home/2/1828;62939dhsns where 1828;62939dhsns is that Page’s RowID.

Then in your temp column do:

https://testlink/a/home/2/ROWID
Where ROWID = That Row’s ID

1 Like

Nice move , thanks.

I wasn’t using row ID’s until now so I guess it’s a good time to start !

Maybe the QR Code computed column could help:

• In the Data Editor, add a computed column : Computed > Other > Image > QR Code
  • Input: As Content, point to a column with URLs.
  • Output: QR codes for each URL.

This was a great suggestion, but how do I extract the actual QR code image out of the glide table in bulk ? One by one is a hassle.

Can you explain what is your use case after exporting them? You don’t plan to use those in your project’s frontend?

Our fuel delivery drivers will scan QR codes (with deep links) at their drop off locations that will load a particular customer’s page. Can you suggest a way to export all the QR code images in bulk ? Copying them one by one is a hassle.

So you need to be able to download the actual QR code images in bulk? How many times/how often will you have to do this?