Hi - I have an app where users will log-in, and I want to create a volunteer sign-up form. I want users to log-in and volunteer to help with specific tasks. I have my user sheet, and then I have the table of the tasks that people need to sign up for.
I added a volunteer column in the tasks sheet, my thinking being that people would then type in their name to volunteer for that task. What I want to happen is for that column to then be filled in with the person’s name, but with how I have it right now, it’s creating a completely new row rather than filling in that column. (see screenshot)
I’m sure I must need to choose a different column type, but I’m not sure what to choose.
Ultimately what I want to do is also create a way for volunteers to be able to see their complete volunteer schedule within the app. Kind of in the same way that people can add something to their favorites. Hopefully that makes sense! I feel like I could probably figure this out on my own, but it would take way longer!
Sounds like you’re using an Add Form rather than an Edit form.
Would I be correct in saying that you only want one volunteer per talk?
If that’s that case, here is what I would do:
- Present your list of talks as a collection.
- The default item click will be to show the details screen for each talk. Don’t change that.
- On the talk details screen, add a button with a label something like “Volunteer for this Talk”
- The action on the button can be a Set Column Values, that writes the signed in users name (or email) into the Volunteer column. You don’t need to ask the user to type their name - you already have this value in their User Profile.
- Add a condition to the action so that it can only be used when the Volunteer column is empty.
- You can also use that column as a filter if you want, so that only unclaimed talks are shown in the initial list.
Give the above a try, it should get you most of the way there.
Aha! Yes, thank you! That was exactly what I was trying to do! Yes, I was thinking that I could then use that new column as a filter to make sure I don’t have multiple people volunteering when the task is already full.
Perfect! I’m pretty sure I can get to where I’m trying to go with it now, thank you very much!