šŸš€ Set Column Action: Alter a DIFFERENT SHEET'S VALUES!

:heart_eyes:

Not only can you use the new ā€œSet Columnā€ action to edit a value within your sheet via button press, but now you can manipulate values in OTHER SHEETS as long as thereā€™s a relation!

This is SUPER powerful. In my demonstration below, I take an inline list of four items and turn them into buttons that can be used to track habits in a DIFFERENT SHEET thatā€™s associated to the currently signed in user!

23 Likes

WHAAAAA?!

HOW DID I MISS THIS?!

AMAZING

All these Glide updates are amazing!!!
7 people got rickrolled :joy:

7 Likes

Agree. I just had a use case just this morning. Previously I was not able to do this in forms because thereā€™s no way to know what specific record the user is viewing, but here we are.

Instant draft picks for a Fantasy app, here we go!

10 Likes

If I could give this 10 likes I would. AMAZING work!

2 Likes

Love the instantaneous of it, thanks for sharing your trick as always Bob!

Iā€™m sure Jesus will do a testimonial post of this app in the coming weeks :wink:

4 Likes

Hey @Robert_Petitto & @ThinhDinh, great work you guys have done, really really cool stuff. These new features are so great. I have an issue with a chat that Iā€™m creating, and I was hoping you guys could give me a hand, cus I think that the ā€œset columnā€ action could help me solve the problem, hereā€™s a small video with the issue I have. Thank you so much in advance

Hi Pablo.

You can have a setup like this to make it work two ways.

Create a template column in your chat sheet, joining the two emails, letā€™s call it ā€œEmailsā€.

So you would have something like ā€œemail1@gmail.com,email2@gmail.comā€.

Then in the same sheet create a split text column, letā€™s call it ā€œEmail Splitā€, split the above template by the comma so you would have an array of 2 emails.

Back to your users sheet, create a relation matching the email column with the email split column in Chats sheet.

In your users sheet, create a joined list column on the relation above, returning the ā€œEmailsā€ column in Chat sheet.

In your conditional visibility for the item, hide when the joined list column contains the ā€œscreen emailā€.

2 Likes

Thank you so much @ThinhDinh, Iā€™ll give it a try and let you know how it works!!

1 Like

Furthermore, to link straight to the chat, I would add the things below.

In the users sheet, create a ā€œEmail 1ā€ template joining the signed in userā€™s email and the email on each row, so we have:

email1@gmail.com,email2@gmail.com

Then an ā€œEmail 2ā€ template but backwards so

email2@gmail.com,email1@gmail.com

Then two multiple relations (solely for inline list displaying purpose) from those templates to the emails column I mentioned in the column above, in the Chats sheet.

Display the two relations in two inline lists, it will show up one only anyway, as only one of the two would match, if thereā€™s a chat already created.

2 Likes

So in this case only one to one only relation?

Great tip @Robert_Petitto, yesterday I tested this feature trying to find a way to clear a whole column (vĆ­a Clear Column parameter) but didnā€™t see the capability to use relations here.

But now, I found out that only Single Relations can be used into Set Column Action and Iā€™m wondering WHY?

The perfect use case could be that: clear/write values belonging a Column ruled by a Multiple Relation

If we can use Multiple Relations here this wil be more that a killer solutionā€¦ it will be a serial killer! :grinning:

Who could help or explain us this singular restriction with Multiple Relations: @Mark @Antonio?

Thanks in advanceā€¦

Saludos y feliz dĆ­a!

2 Likes

Simply Fantastic @Robert_Petitto :fire:

3 Likes

works great @ThinhDinh, thanks again for your help!! Really appreciate it.
@Amal this will help you too!

2 Likes

Thanks @PabloMFalero @ThinhDinh gonna try now.

2 Likes

My pleasure to help. Do let me know if you have more questions :wink:

1 Like

Got it working woohooooo

2 Likes

2 Likes

Thanks @ThinhDinh its working great. Now the only thing left to do, is to find a way to notify user in-app.

1 Like

What about incrementing a column in another sheet? Can you think of a way to do that?

Thatā€™s what I show in my video. Currently the increment action doesnā€™t reference other sheets like the set column does so youā€™ll have to build the increment columns like I show in the video.

2 Likes