Select values from relations just like "User >" (Inline Lookups)

Just like we can choose a value from a user profile sheet during if/then/else columns, template columns, filtering/visibility conditions, etc, would love to be able to do the same via relations. It would cut down on SO MUCH app bloat. @david @mark @tristan

Here’s a mockup:

100% yes! @David actually mentioned something like this a long time ago around a hopeful change to the way lookups are done — basically every relation’s values would exist as a pre-configured lookup (so exactly what you’ve mocked up here). I think it would basically get rid of the lookup column, so I’m thinking that it may be tough to implement and ensure backwards compatibility with older apps.

2 Likes

Got my vote :+1:

1 Like

We call these ‘inline lookups’, and have wanted to do them for some time.

9 Likes

No time like the present! :grin:

5 Likes

Resurrecting this feature request in the hopes it gets some traction (and adding a detail to it!). This is something that would be very helpful for me — I have an app that requires the user to submit some information. The form pulls info from their profile and I have an action that sets other fields in their profile after the form is submitted (through a relation that relates a user email column to the Profile table).

Added functionality would come if the inline lookups could also be added as Screen Columns (or whatever they’d end up being called) inside form submissions ---- currently we can access screen and user profile columns that will automatically send data through with a form submission. If relations could be accessed the same way, we could then grab the corresponding column data and send it through automatically.

IF we could access relations’ columns as noted above, it would allow me to very easily build in a process where a supervisor could submit a form on behalf of another user — currently, a LOT of information is being transferred to the Submissions Table based on the signed-in user using the User Profile Columns. I also use the User Profile table to display information directly on the form based on the signed-in user. If I could access the RELATION columns from the relation that relates an email column back to my User Profiles table, then I could do this whole process very easily and a supervisor could submit a form that updates their staff members’ User Profile rows.

1 Like

This would be such a good feature… it would save so many columns

2 Likes

+2 (my son is watching over my shoulder – I am trying to get him interested in Glide).

3 Likes

Completely agree! It would save SO much time and table clutter.

1 Like

+1

Bumping this. Vote!

1 Like

Any updates on this?

Are there any news ? :cry:
This could be a game-changer for simplify the app development, but there are only 17 votes for it !
Very sad

It will be a great enhancement!!!
It will save a lot of boiler-plate column and simplify a lot the tables.

1 Like

Still considering implementing this? 2024 would able a great year for inline lookups!

2 Likes