New Lookup Concept 🔍

@david @mark @Jason

What about Lookup columns look like this:

I see everytime we gotta create a single/multiple relation to it. Thinking about easier ways to use the platform and how many people is not familiar with Lookups or Relations… How about we join the two?

5 Likes

+1. This is the actual way people are used to in the Sheets with Vlookup.

3 Likes

I like it! Curious though… is the thought that this would act as a relation in the sheet too, or would a separate relation column still need to be added to perform other relation-type stuff (like for inline lists, etc)?

2 Likes

No @kyleheney. We would still have the Relation column, but to use Lookup columns today we must have any type of Relation, and that’s what exactly confuses people who are starting on the platform.

So, the thought would be when we’d create a lookup column, we chose the “relation” inside of Lookup configurations (second screenshot of the topic), just telling glide where we’re going to bring the value from.

Today we do it, but separately.

3 Likes

I see—choose an existing relation, or make one in the lookup column? Interesting.

3 Likes

We actually want to get rid of the Lookup column entirely, and create something we call “Inline Lookups,” which would let you choose any property of a any relation when picking a value, anywhere. These would also be writeable.

15 Likes

Even if it’s single or multiple?

1 Like

Ah, just like webflow does it. I think that’s a good idea.

1 Like

Would this be similar to my feature request of inline templates/tags too? For instance, in a custom text field, be able to say something like Hello, {name} where {name} is the value in the name column or from a lookup?

4 Likes

In your feature request, would that be a replacement or alternative to a template column?

1 Like

Sounds way better, so lets get that rolling and ready for XMAS day:)

1 Like

Awesome! cant wait for this!

1 Like

@david this is an exciting development. Do you mind if I ask if this is very far away? (weeks? months?)
I’ve started working on a translations template concept that’s going to rely heavily on lookups, and now I’m wondering if I should icebox the idea for a little while…

1 Like

Sorry, we will never get rid of the Lookup column. I meant to say, we want to make a better alternative.

5 Likes

I agree