Public Pro Vs Private Pro features

I am just wondering if other people have come upon the limitation of not being able to compose an email via a program action as a step for a Public Pro app instead of a Private Pro app. My use case is I will have way over 20+ people needing to access but yet I am still paying for an upgraded version. Again, just curious what others think. I would love to see this opened up for Public Pro as well. :slight_smile:

I got Private Pro specifically for that feature, but now it looks like only people who have previously signed into my app, or have a gmail account, can access it. Can we set up a free Zapier function to do that?

Hi all, to add to the conversation, Iā€™m a bit confused regarding the public signin vs private signin. In my specific use case, I do want TONS of users to login and use my app. Letā€™s use a hypothethical example of say, a plumbers club (sorry first thing that popped in head) where plumbers can sign up to learn about plumbing events happening in their city. And their clients can also join as well to meet other like minded plumbing fans. So Iā€™ve got all these users who I want on the app.

At first glance, it looks like the Pro App works as ANYONE can sign in using their email address?

But can they customize their profile and save event information like an upcoming plumberā€™s convention in Idaho in the fall along with a NY based plumberā€™s meetup this Friday?

I guess the other part thatā€™s confusing is the ā€œLimit access by emailā€ feature of the Private Pro plan because I wouldnā€™t want the plumbers or their fans to have access to everybody elseā€™s data such as passwords but I would want some engagement ala plumbers near each other in the same city or zip code?

Any thoughts or opinions greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Sy

The main difference between Pro and Private Pro is who has access to the app. Anybody in the world can sign into a Pro app. Only a whitelisted list of emails that you specify can sign into a Private Pro app. A private app is much more secure since outsiders canā€™t sign in. (Simply signing into a Pro app will download the entire database, which people can snoop and see itā€™s contents. If you arenā€™t allowed access to a Private app, then that data isnā€™t accessible, but still is if you are on the whitelist.)

Functionality is pretty much the same accept for some additional security, such as Roles in addition to Row Owners. It might be beneficial to read through the Security Center documentation to get a better handle on security and who can access what.

For the most part everything else should function the same between Pro and Private Pro. I would only recommend Private Pro if you need to restrict the app to certain users. Also keep in mind the pricing difference. Private Pro is a few dollars more, and includes up to 20 active users in a given month. Any additional users beyond that and you are charged per additional active user.

1 Like

I owe you a beer, smoothie or coffee, whichever your choice of poison at a GlideApps event @Jeff_Hager ! Thanks again for your reply and the detail answer. Iā€™ll read through the link now but I think your post pretty much gave me the answer I was concerned about. That if anybody in the world can sign in and have access to everything in the database, that means they could access other peopleā€™s data such as email and location then right?

And if I go with the Private Pro plan, Iā€™d be charged per user so if a 1000 plumbers signed up, yikes!

Anyways, thanks again for your help and Iā€™ll research further. Have a nice weekend

2 Likes

If you use Row Owner correctly, it will prevent data that doesnā€™t belong to someone from being accessible. That starts to become tricky if you have user data that can be shared combined with data that shouldnā€™t be shared. In that case, it may be best to have two table. One with Private data and one with Public data. Then you only need to apply row owners on the Private table and their personal information is protected and only visible to that one user. In some cases if you need additional row owners on the same row, then you can achieve that with multiple email columns that are assigned as row ownersā€¦or if you are using a google sheet, then you can sequentially number the columns to create an array column and set that single array column as a row owner.

2 Likes

Thanks again @Jeff_Hager ! Yes, I think I remember you mentioning Row Owners in another thread so Iā€™ll look more into this feature and will see how having both a public and private table can work.

Iā€™m pretty sure I might be mixing things up here but is a private data table under the same plan as Private users under the Private Pro plan? If so, am I also able to have a public data table as well? Or am I able to accomplish both public and private data tables under all of the plans?

Thanks again!

PS - By any chance do you do private Glide consulting or teaching? Youā€™ve probably saved me several days and hours of experimentation and frustration so on the principle of reciprocity, Iā€™d like to support anything youā€™ve got going on. Thanks again Jeff!

1 Like

Tables are tables. Thereā€™s no real difference between them and which plans they work with. The only difference is setting a column as a row owner, which would restrict how much of that data is passed to the user. It works the same with a private plan or any other plan. The only difference with a private plan is the ability to use user roles in addition to user emails when setting row owners.

Sorry, I donā€™t usually do any consulting outside of the forum. Thereā€™s a lot of other experts that Iā€™m sure would be willing to help one on one.

1 Like

Thanks for the help again @Jeff_Hager No worries on the consulting as I just want to reciprocate your kind generosity in helping me during my first few days of Glide. I will say this that for my own platform, Iā€™m incorporating an outside discussion forum which will be a link on my Glide app and I now know how important it is to have helpful, engaging members there to provide a GREAT UX. @david should def put you on payroll ha! Have a nice weekend!

2 Likes

Did this plan go away? Iā€™m looking to have an app that is protected by a password. I remember this was how I built apps in the past, but now I canā€™t seem to do it?