Performance improvement request - Loading Apps vs Pages

I experienced something that reduced the loading time. (maybe 1 sec less)
I deleted 2 things on my screen :

• basic table component
  • text entry (if there is a rollup column behind)

+1 !! :slight_smile:

1 Like

+1

:musical_score: All I want for Christmas is a branded loading screen, a branded loading screen, a branded loading screen… :musical_score:

Is the load speed issue being addressed…?

Have you experienced loading issues recently on a project built in Pages?

Ideas to troubleshoot:

My concern is I have a high speed wireless network and every time I load my team Pages there is an 8+ second delay before the animated bars appear and then another 20-30 seconds before my teams set appears. I am working on a new app concept and concerned that once I publish that in Pro that it will have a slow response time based on this. Still learning here and saw this in the community was the reason for my post…

Hi, @nathanaelb. No, we don’t have any active projects in Pages. I can only speak to the ongoing loading issue with Apps that myself and many others on this thread continue to be plagued by.

There are reasons why loading time can be slow, though the default loading time should be “reasonably quick”. I’m putting this in question marks because that doesn’t mean anything per se. A range, which I don’t know, would be more useful.

What you can do is optimize for an optimal loading:

• Build your project on Pages instead of Apps.
  • Use Glide Tables instead of other data sources.
  • Don’t download too much data: use row ownership when appropriate.
  • Don’t load too much data on screen.
  • If load time is still slow, could CSS or certain components be the culprits?

I appreciate the input. Unfortunately, our project is a mobile app so Pages isn’t an option. The load time has been better as of late, but we’re also looking for an improvement on what is displayed during load — since the latest iOS update, the white loading screen is now preceded with 1-2 seconds of a black screen as well.

Us and others would like to see the black and white screens replaced with the default accent color of the app along with the app’s icon being displayed so users can visually see the app they launched is loading right away to minimize abandonment rates.

Glide Pages is excellent to build both web and mobile apps, the output is beautifully responsive, and most features available in Apps are already available in Pages. In fact, when you start a new project in Pages, you’ll notice that the default view in the design layout is for mobile.

There’s no rush to migrate from Pages to Apps, but at one point, possibly soon, Pages will surpass Apps so migrating will make sense.

(According the Glide’s most recent announcements, not immediately but eventually, Pages will be renamed to Apps and Apps renamed to Classic or Legacy. )

Hi, Nathanael. Yes, we’ve been in the wings waiting for the feature set in Pages to expand to the point where everything we’ve built in Apps can be done in Pages. From what you alluded to and the Dec 6 Year in Review presentation, it sounds like this will happen in 2023…very cool. :+1:

Curious, in the mobile view of a Pages project, does the application behave and look like a native app like Apps currently do (e.g., no web browser frame or controls) and can these Pages projects be “installed” on devices (e.g., added to device home screens in a similar fashion) where they launch like a native app as Glide Apps do currently (e.g., open as a native app without any web browser frame or controls)?

I appreciate your insight and taking the time to chat with me about this. Thx!

It’s still a PWA, so you can install it in the same way that you can an App, and get a similar user experience.

Hey, @Darren_Murphy. I appreciate you letting me know…that’s good news. I just added to my comments above and was wondering if the entire UX was the same — once “installed” on the home screen, does the Pages project launch like a native app as well w/o any web browser controls, etc. Sounds like you’re saying it will.

BTW, do you have any public-facing Pages projects that you could link me too so I could see this in action? As always, thanks for the input. :+1:

yep. At least on IOS. I don’t have an android device, but my understanding is that some of the browser controls are always available, even with Glide Apps.

Most of what I build in Glide is private, but here is one public one that I did. It’s essentially just a web site.

It’s the same experience on Android and iOS. Pages install and look just like apps. Android does not show browser controls.

Android used to have hardware buttons that eventually became software buttons. A Back button, a Home button, and an Overview to switch between open apps.

This is your page project installed on my phone. The buttons at the bottom are not browser buttons. They are OS buttons. The Back button can be used to close a keyboard, go back in apps and browser pages, and a variety of other things. I can actually turn them off and use gestures if I wanted the extra screen real estate.

2 Likes

Appreciate the input @Jeff_Hager and @Darren_Murphy. I did install the 3Dethos on my iPhone (Darren, thanks for sharing!) and it brought up one follow up question:

On Darren’s Pages project, the project’s menu is displayed across the top as tabs in landscape view (like it is on desktop). In portrait view, the Pages project menu is displayed across the bottom as app tabs. Does Pages have a setting/feature that allows tabs to be tucked into a hamburger menu in the upper left corner in portrait view on mobile viewports? Thx

1 Like

Yes, it does. And it’s done in exactly the same way as in Apps.
Just to prove it, I moved a couple of the tabs in my project to the hamburger menu.
If you reload it, you should see the change.
In landscape on mobile, you’ll see all 6 tabs across the top.
But if you rotate to portrait, two of them will move into the hamburger menu.

Awesome, thank you! You didn’t have to go that trouble, but I did look at it and really appreciate you both taking time to help out a fellow Glider. Thanks again!

3 Likes

Side note: those images on the home screen are all done with Cloudinary. The one at the top has the text dynamically overlaid. The site supports both English and Spanish, so if you switch to Spanish you’ll see the text change. Because Spanish contains accented characters, the text has to be URL encoded, but it works really well. Here’s what the template looks like:

1 Like