List line items linking to other sheets

Awesome thanks Mark!

I beleive weā€™ve actually had this conversation before Mark so forgive me for the redundancy. I remember you mentioning that Cloudinary was the provider. I did a bit more digging (I canā€™t help it sorry) and found the documentation for how Cloudinary goes about optimizing images: https://cloudinary.com/documentation/image_optimization - It seems not all images are treated equally. Furthermore there are guidelines for what format should be used where. Lastly, there are apparently settings that you can set on your account(s) that increase or decrease the optimizations that the platform uses. Have you looked into optimizing the optimizations? Lol They are mentioning that by setting to auto instead of a fixed percentage can result in significantly increased compression with minimal quality loss as compared to the fixed rate. Just a thought. Also would be cool if from the builder you could interface with Cloudinary and set your own parameters on a per app basis if you wanted. Not sure how doable this is though. Alright, Iā€™m done for now, thanks again!

We are rolling out improved transforms with Cloudinary. We have to balance transforms with costs however and per-app settings will probably not be possible due to this.

@Mark, @JackVaughan anything we could do as a community to help make this component a reality from a coding/testing perspective sooner rather than later?

Understood, makes sense. Based on the blanket parameters that are selected for the compressions it might be beneficial to know the average file size reductions you can expect from specific types of image formats so users can choose the best format for their goals.

@JWhiteside thank you, as usual - really appreciate your offer.

Not for now - but Iā€™ll bring it up again in team meetings this week. Thanks mate

Np anytime Jack :grin:. If the opportunity does present itself, I would love to help in any way I can. Cheers!

@Mark, @JackVaughan Having given this more thought Jeff, the column solution with links to different sheets is exactly what we need. This is how I developed a work around already using images I created that mimick the list line items. I created templates of each list item in Photoshop and then converted to an image; getting them as closely resembling the actual list line items as possible. I may eat crow on this one but it shouldnā€™t be that hard to create a new template list item for this function using the columns as placeholders for the the line item links. Thoughts? You can see my app with the initial page that has the images for the line items; multiple loading circles and all lol: https://hashgraph.glideapp.io granted i havenā€™t finished properly linking the app to the sheets but each line item links to its own separate sheet.

1 Like

@JWhiteside Just curious if you ever attempted the solution I laid out above with the multiple lists:

Seems to me like that would be a whole lot simpler than photoshopping images that would perform the same action as a list. Plus as a bonus, no loading circles for images.

I havenā€™t yet Jeff, but i hadnā€™t forgotten about it either. I was going to play with it tomorrow. Iā€™ll let you know how I make out!

The app I linked to before should be shared so you can copy it.

@JWhiteside a similar but different feature request relates to use of tiles as link to screens

Tiles as links to screens

@Krivo The functionality and underlying code I would imagine are going to be the exact same for these two features, they are just visually represented differently. Solve for one and you solve for bothā€¦

Hi @Jeff_Hager , this is one of your older yet still very helpful posts. Iā€™m trying to do something similar. By any chance could your idea above with the different sheets be accomplished with a tile look vs list? Iā€™ve attached a screenshot of what Iā€™m trying to do. You can see in my use case that for each city image, Iā€™d like the user to be able to click on it and then in that specific city, have another tile list of images of either museums, people, restaurants, music venues, etc. Thanks in advance!

Yeah, thatā€™s a pretty old post with some old concepts when glide was a lot more limited. In my example, I had separate sheets for each test type because they were vastly different. I have since restructured that part quite a bit to only use one sheet. The goal back then was to point to different sheets with different layouts, but make it look like one list. I think the other people had wanted to use the same sheet, but still have different layouts. Since then we have gained the Independent Screen Layout option, which allows you to design the details screen for each list item independently, but can become a problem if you list is dynamically changing, since you would have to go into the editor to redesign any new list items. You could do something similar to what I did with tiles, but you would only be able to achieve one tile per row. You wouldnā€™t be able to have two columns for tiles.

Personally, if Iā€™m understanding what you want, you should actually be using the tiles as you have them, then create a relation from that city table to an category table that lists all of the categories of attractions for each city. Then you have a relation in that category table to an attractions table that lists each attraction. In the details of each screen, you just add an inline list that displays the data from the relation column. That would honestly be the easiest way to do it and you can see an example of it in the Multi-Level Select demo in https://concepts.glideapp.io/. Itā€™s an old app and I havenā€™t updated it for a long time, so a lot of stuff in there uses some old methods. You could maybe shortcut things a little bit, and instead of having a category repeated for each city, you could maybe could use a custom action to write the selected city to a user specific column somewhere, then refer to that user specific column to build a template column in your categories sheet that will join the city name and category to create a relation to the attractions sheet, which would have a template of the city and category. Thereā€™s several ways to approach it depending on how compact you want your data, or how you want it to flow.

Overall, I think this thread may not completely apply to what you are trying to do.

1 Like

Thanks @Jeff_Hager ! I will give all your suggestions a try and also check out your demo. As always, appreciate your time and help!

1 Like