I’ve been using Glide for 2.5 years now. I heavily rely on the Roles feature. Our app is used to provide transportation services. There’s a driver view, a rider view, and my own admin view. As of yesterday (with the implementation of SQL perhaps?) it has started freaking out.
When I first open the app page within the editor, I notice that it doesn’t recognize my ROLES sheet. When it is first opened, the Role drop-down on the top left has the email address instead of the usual First Name.
You’ll notice on the picture attached that the dropdown has the rider’s EMAIL, not the first name, indicating there might be something wrong with the roles. In the picture, you’ll also see that all of the inline lists are not appearing. There should also be about 4 or 5 tabs along the bottom–different tabs show depending on if you are a rider or a driver. But now none of those are showing. Only the Today tab because it has no changes to the Visibility and the Terms and Conditions tab that is supposed to show up if your Role is blank or “Unknown” (The word “unknown” appears in that spot using an array formula).
Alternately, I suspect it may just be an issue with the processing speed of the app. Because within the editing software, if I wait long enough without touching anything, it all goes back to normal. But this is not the case within the apps that are on people’s phones. Either they aren’t waiting long enough (even after waiting at least five minutes, that wasn’t enough), or perhaps the finished product isn’t reaching their phones.
In this second picture (which appeared just 2-3 minutes after the first without my touching anything), you can see that the Role has figured itself out and changed to the first name, all the inline lists have now appeared, and all 4-5 tabs are working correctly along the bottom. I personally don’t mind waiting 2-3 minutes when opening the app to start editing. The problem is that even after waiting 5 minutes, the USERS are still seeing the first picture. They are unable to register because the register tab is missing. The drivers are unable to see who they are supposed to drive because that inline list isn’t loading. Honestly, this is all super strange. Cause it feels like there’s nothing wrong. The problem suddenly appeared yesterday and after several hours of investigating, I can’t seem to find anything wrong with the way the visibility is set up or with the Role sheet of our app.
NOTE: Previously we did have a Google Form connected to our spreadsheet. I saw in another post that they suspected Google Forms were causing problems with roles. We no longer needed that Google Form, so I went ahead and disconnected it, but the problem persists.