Is there a way to upload files > 10MB using glide to an external service?

I guess it’s not clear what does and doesn’t work, which in and of itself is an issue! I know that the files are recording as .mov and Glide docs says we can upload mp4 from Google Drive…and I may have missed something else along the way. It would be wonderful for this to be easy - enough flexibility on size of upload and common formats - without any problem. :innocent:

1 Like

Thank you. I am going to try out direct uploads to cloudinary for video files so larger files are supported. Going to reach out to you directly in case I need help with using Cloudinary’s file picker for and upload operation.

Videos shot on iPhone uploads and works. Excited about increase in file size limits, but equal or bigger issue is that we are currently limited in being able to display videos uploaded by users because they would have to manually upload a cover image (for inline list experience).

Made a screen recording with my comments about how video uploads and the experience of viewing them might work.

I think that with so many apps relying on user generated content, videos are a critical missing piece at the moment. File size increase will be great, but some opportunity to improve the current experience for displaying videos.

Will put in a feature request as well. Thanks!

1 Like

This would be great for my new app…any update on when we will have increased upload size limit for Pro apps?

1 Like

Pro apps can upload up to 1GB files now.

9 Likes

Ah, had no idea - that’s amazing - a game changer for apps relying on user generated content! :raised_hands:t2: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :star_struck:

2 Likes

For sure game changer. I can now build a video-submission app for a colleague of mine looking to assess orchestral student performance.

2 Likes

That’s great David!

1 Like

How do we see if our app has exhausted the 10GB limit on Pro app? Is there a way to extend this capacity? Any plans on increasing storage limit for Pro apps? I see that we can buy additional boosts but those quotas don’t include storage for Pro.

This is not an urgent requirement. The app is community driven social media app. We are using Glideapps as a Proof of concept platform. In case we see traction and users upload more data exceeding 10GB limit, just need to be prepared for that scenario (if there are any provisions within Glide?)

@david

Hi David,

Do we have any updates on this topic? Even I’m having situations where size is very often more than 10MB.

Regards,

Tanul

Pro apps do allow for 1Gb uploads.

1 Like

Wow! That’s very nice to know.

I still had some concerns over the 10GB cap though:

1. What will happen after the cloud cap of 10 GB is reached? Will the users still be able to upload files?
  2. Can I pull the files from glide and store it on S3?

Regards,

Tanul

I don’t know if anybody has hit the cap or if it’s strongly enforced. It is my understanding though that when a url for an image is removed from the sheet, it’s supposed to be deleted from storage within 30 days. Again, not sure how well that’s enforced yet.

I’m sure you could find or write a process or a script to take the existing urls, process through them to download and then upload to S3. Then take the resulting URL and update the sheet. Probably a bit of an undertaking, but most likely possible.

The alternative would be to have the users directly upload to S3 through a third party site in a webview, and through some magic, possibly through zapier or integromat, have the urls for the uploaded images inserted into the sheet. @Krivo has some write-ups on the work he has done to try to accomplish this by uploading externally to Cloudinary.

2 Likes

Got it. I’m thinking of going with the direct upload to S3 using webview approach. Thanks a lot for the help Jeff!

1 Like

Jeff,
Can I ask what the Node.js code looks like for the upload to Cloudinary please ?
As this is a bit I am new to

Many Thanks

Rob

I’m not sure what you are referring to, but I don’t have any code to handle anything like that.

Jeff,
Ok thanks I have worked out what I needed thankyou

Regards

Rob

1 Like

I would still like to know if your users uploaded files over the 10gb is there an external cloud space or disk space where your glide app can redirect that memory. Like if i made a YouTube type app which would be well over 10gb would i be able to connect my glide app somewhere else to save that data?

I haven’t heard of that, and I’m not sure if they hard enforce the 10GB limit now.