Is there a way to let businesses share their profile to the public?

Great, thanks! I’ve added the button to my profiles and it works, but is there a way to hide the deep link and automate the hyper link name so that anyone can share it? Is that what Zapier does?

1 Like

Others have used third party url shortening services. You can search the forum to find posts regarding that. It’s not a simple process though. Otherwise, you could try using a template column to wrap the url in <a href> html tags with a friendly name. But how well that works depends on how you intend to share the url.

Hi Jeff! I dug through the forums and i couldn’t find anything that seemed to be a clear win??

I was wondering if you could explain your template solution a little more and i could try that out. I have never used ? The main purpose would be to share with other people via things like Text, Email, or Facebook.

Thanks!!

I would create a template column that looks like this:
<a href="{URL}">{NAME}</a>

Then set up replacements in the template column to replace {URL} with the column that contains the url, and replace {NAME} with the column that contain the friendly name for the url.

1 Like

OK, I’m working on this now! So first I made a template that made the Salon Names URL friendly by removing the spaces. And then I started making the template you described and I’m stuck here:

I don’t know how to replace the URL because each individual salon has it’s own deep link. So how do I get the deep links into a column in order to add it to the template? (assuming that’s what i need and I actually did it right - very good chance i’m doing it wrong) :slight_smile:

Thank you!

If you don’t have deep link as a field already, you can structure an action like this on entry of the details view in your list.

• Show details view
  • Set column: set the current screen’s link to a normal column in your data

If you want to have beautiful links instead, the solution would be somewhat like this.

• If “deep link” is not empty, show details view only.

• If “deep link” is empty, show details view and trigger a webhook to Integromat containing the “link to current screen” as a variable, alongside the rowID of the current row.

• In Integromat, add a node to Short.io to process that link and give it a “path” as you want.

• Add a Google Sheets search row node to search for the row with the rowID passed through the webhook.

• Add a final Google Sheets update row node to update the row found with the short link in step 2.

• Use that deep link in your HTML template.

1 Like

Hi Thinh, thank you for your additional info. Forgive me, but I’m still struggling to figure out how to get the deep link into a data column.

So you’re saying i need to go to a profile page (which is in details view) and create an action (using an action button?) where i can send the info to a data column?

You should have an inline list of profiles, and take advantage of any clicks on that inline list to generate a link for you. The action is executed when they view the profile in question.

Jeff, I’m still trying to work on this deep link to hyper link replacement. Can you still help me with this?

I just created a deeplink column (not shown).
I extracted the deeplink for the salons that are highlighted.
I’m clearly not doing the replacements right bc the deep link isn’t hidden!
Any idea what I need to do to make it right?

They look okay - what do you see when you use that “Share Salon Template” column in a Rich Text component?

1 Like

Oh ok, it does look right here!

So how do I turn that column into a shareable button?
And when someone does click that button to share it aka ‘copy’ it, will it also ‘paste’ as that hyperlink as well? Because thats what I was trying to solve for!

Thanks so much!

You could just use a standard button component, and assign a Copy to Clipboard action to that button. The data that gets copied will be the contents of that column.

How well it works, depends (as Jeff mentioned in his earlier reply) on what it’s then pasted into.
If it gets pasted into an email, for example, most email clients will recognise the HTML tags and render it as is seen in your screen shot.

But if it was pasted into a basic text editor, then you’d see it as it appears in your Glide Data Editor.

So again, it depends…

1 Like

OK thanks! Most all of the sharings would be SMS, Facebook, and email. So I’ll test out sms and Facebook too.

:pensive: none of them are working. First pic is email, second pic is sms

That’s where it really depends. A url shortening service is going to take that url and give you a shortened version of it, but it’s a bit of work to get something like that set up. There are a handful of posts in the forum where people have achieved it with some third party tools or scripting. The a href tag that we’ve been talking about here is just an html link. It’s the same as many links that you see on other websites, where the url is hidden by a friendly word or sentence. It doesn’t change the underlying url. It just makes it nicer to look at.

www.google.com
and
Jeff thinks Google Rocks!
are both clickable links pointing to the same www.google.com url, but one just looks cooler.

The problem is that not everything will render html. Sometimes it will work and sometimes it will not. In some cases, email clients and social media sites will take a url by itself and render it into a nice looking version, but that depends on a lot of things. There’s no guarantee that every email client, sms client, social media, or anything else will render just the url into a friendly version or will allow you to feed it html code. The only guarantee to have a short url is to run glide’s deep links through a third party url shortening service.

Here is a random selection of topics that discuss url shortening.

2 Likes

I noticed one of those links there (in row 12) is a builder link, make sure you fix that before going live with the feature.

2 Likes

Well spotted! :mag: :face_with_monocle:

2 Likes

Thank Jeff, So it seems like there just isn’t a way to do what I’m looking for internally then? So I’ll probably end up doing it through bit.ly or short.io. or zapier

Is it still a problem with glide that you can’t do it, though, if the content is on glide tables instead of sheets?

While doing this with a google sheet would probably be easier, since you could probably have integromat or zapier handle the process, I think it might still be possible with glide tables. I honestly haven’t done any url shortening myself, so I can’t advise on an exact procedure. According to this thread below, it seems like it could be possible within Glide. Might be worth asking in some of those other threads to see if the people that have done it can answer your questions.

This did work in my case.

2 Likes