How can I use Row IDs/deep links to create a public profile URL to users can share with others?

Is this possible? I have row IDs enabled. I want to be able to create a link to a user profile that can be used externally — ideally so that someone doesn’t have to sign into the app, but at this point, I’m wondering if that’s possible and can be content with the fact that people will have to create an account to access the link.

Use case: I’m working on an app that’s like an adult registry (outside of babies/weddings), where people can create a wishlist for others to reference for gift-giving occasions. I want people to be able to share their user profile/wishlist with others.

Found this old topic that suggests you can use webhooks/Zapier to kind of make this happen but all the screenshots are out of date and my brain is not following:

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I would also consider doing something like generating a PDF (perhaps using Zapier?) to email a list from the wishlist people put together in the app.

Yes, just make sure users are sharing the deep link to their “public” profile
Podz App · Details 2022-02-24 at 5.18.41 PM
and use something like this:
Glide API · Glide 2022-02-24 at 5.19.52 PM

3 Likes

Thanks for your reply - you make me hopeful I can get this to work!

I’m not seeing all the same options as you and when I try parts of it, the share link from a copy action is like, grabbing other text in the profile — not a URL. I filmed this quick video to show you what I’m seeing and am wondering if I’m just like missing a setting or something that would make this work?

Another thing I don’t totally understand is URL structure within Glide and am wondering if there’s a good resource for that/if that matters for what I’m trying to do here!

Thanks so much for all your help so far :slight_smile:

Or like, are there any Glide app templates that make use of the feature I’m looking for (being able to share a profile URL)? I can certainly try working backward from that but didn’t see anything that looked like this with my first go through

You’re close. ‘Link to Current Screen’ is the correct option instead of trying to share a specific column in the table. I think what’s tripping you up is the Share Link action. Normally on a mobile device that will cause the share panel on the phone to pop up where you can choose which app to share the link to. On a desktop, there usually isn’t a sharing panel, so it’s not going to do anything. So I would at least try it on a mobile device, but if you need it to work on a desktop, then you could try using the ‘Copy to Clipboard’ action. That way the button should copy the link to screen to your clipboard, and you can then paste it elsewhere.

Here

2 Likes

The answer continues to evade me. It either goes to the main page (occasions.gifts) or it copies “Maddy French”. I can’t get it to go to a specific URL that isn’t the parent domain :frowning: Here’s what I see: Screen Recording 2022-03-12...

You’re using it in a “User Profiles” screen, which is some what special, because I think it’s an overlay, not an actual details screen with a shareable URL.

A profile URL has to come from a list view/an inline list, where you can navigate to the details screen of a specific row.

Say you will have a tab of all profiles in the app, and then when you click on one of the profiles, it will take you to a details screen. That details screen will have a shareable URL.

1 Like