Independent Configuration Screen Per Item Tutorial

Hi, I’m looking for an independent configuration screen per item tutorial, where I can configure something like this mentioned in the official glide navigation videos on YouTube. As I look at the video, I’m wondering…“Are the squares shown right there tabs in Sheets? Or is it something else?”

Is the Home, About, Location, The Team, Blog, etc. squares all in the same tab in Sheets?

Could anyone help explain it a little better for me?

1 Like

Independent Screen Configuration uses a list, just like any other list of rows, where you would normally view the details of the list item (row). The only difference is that each item can be configured independently.

Normally detail layouts are tied to the sheet and apply to all items in that sheet, but this breaks that rule and let’s you set up each detail screen for each item different for each item.

So, I guess my question is, looking back at the video link I posted, where is the Home, About, Location, etc. buttons located? Is that just a list of all those items together in a separate tab? I guess I’m having trouble understanding where the details are located in relation to those squares. I’m usually pretty saavy with Glide, but this is stumping me for some reason.

When he says “takes users to a unique screen”, that’s a separate tab, right? Does that mean that I get to determine which tab I want the user to go to when they click on About, or Location?

It would just be any table with a list of items. One for each row. So a Home row, About row, Location row, etc.

No, it does not take you to a separate tab. You are just viewing the details of each list item.

I think it would help me if I could see things from the Sheets side. Do you have a screenshot I could look at? Thanks for your help, Jeff.

It could be as simple as this.

Just create a sheet with a list of items. Add a tab in list view, or details view with an inline list pointing to that sheet. Then turn on Independent Screen Configuration, click into each item details and add any components you want to the screen. Each item can look different.

I think you may be overthinking how it works. It’s just a list like any other list you’ve ever added to an app, but each item in that list can have a different set of components on each item’s detail screen.

2 Likes

Dang, I think you’re right. Ok, what you’re showing me is what I was envisioning. Thanks for making it clearer. So, in addition to the tab that contains this list, I would also have a separate tab for Home, a separate tab for About, a separate tab for Location, etc. Ok, I think I got it. Thanks!

No, there wouldn’t be separate tabs.

Imagine a list of students. For each student, you want the details screen to look different. With ISC, you could do that. So student A would have a picture and address for example. Student B could have a video and list of favorite subjects, Student C could have the text ‘Hello World’ on the screen. It has nothing to do with separate tabs.

2 Likes

Hmmmm, ok thanks. Man, wish it was separate tabs. That makes more sense to me. I’m guessing I’m just looking for a simple way of doing this. I’ve always accomplished it through a relation from an inline list on one tab (like you pictured) with that same word mentioned in a column in a separate tab. Still hoping that Glide makes this a little easier.

Well, you can create a custom action for the list, so when you tap on an item, your action would have an IF statement that would look at the name of the item you tapped on and perform any action you want, such as link to screen, navigate to tab, view detail, show a notification, etc. Anything you want it to do.

Also might help to understand what it is you’re trying to accomplish. If you are trying to navigate to other tabs, just know that the tab has to be visible either in the bottom tab row, or in the side menu. If you are just trying to link through a relation, you could do that too through ISC. Just add an inline list to the details screen that uses that relation.

2 Likes