šŸ¤Æ I cant with the dates!

Ok,
I give up.
I thought I had it figured out with the new computed date columns .
I offset the time zone, save the new calculated date and then use that. works fine in a GS table.
But Glide tables insert the format WRONG.
I want to cry seriously

1 Like

Anyone here knows what is going on :face_with_head_bandage:?
@George-Glide @ThinhDinh @Darren_Murphy @Jeff_Hager

Can you confirm if the same things that you demonstrated in your video also happen if you use a date pickerā€¦or I think you can get a date picker to show up in the data editor to select dates as well.

Also, what happens when you manually type the dates using YYYY/MM/DD instead?

I suspect that part of the problem is that you arenā€™t typing in a true ISO formatted date. You are typing in a date that is ambiguous depending on different regions. I think that underlying unformatted value is stored behind the scenes, which can be hard to parse apart if you meant MM/DD or DD/MM.

Using a date picker stores the ISO version of the date time which is an international standard and should work regardless of region.

Just to be clear, you can type a lot of random things into a date column and it will do itā€™s best to convert it to a date. Key words being ā€œitā€™s bestā€. For example, you can type ā€˜3 months from nowā€™ and it will give you a date 3 months in the future.

1 Like

Yes thats right. but I mostly write dates using this
and I have to write a calculated date that takes 2 hours from glides date in order to use the computed columns.
Its all one big mess.
I had it figured out in a GS table but now in a glide table it ignores the written format.
When I write to a google sheet it takes the format from the sheet.

you can see these both column are filled using a glide action.
This is a GS:

This is a Glide Tabke:

I have the date column in the google sheet set as plain text.

Ok. I just wanted to at least rule that out as a potential issue. I havenā€™t dug very deep into all of the new plugins. Iā€™ve been experimenting with mostly the javascript plugin. I would think that if you used the original computed columns, such as math and template, you could build a text version of the date in a consistent format that would be the same regardless of region. After that, Iā€™m not sure but possibly you could pass that template date into the plugin. Itā€™s extra columns, but I feel pretty confident with how well the original computed columns work.

2 Likes

Hola @Lin_Altshuler

Well, I know what you are felling because I walked that painful way and following some advices and tips I could handle dates without headaches.

I use the format dd/mm/yyyy too and understand your case.

Rule #1:
Glide uses the date format from userā€™s device. If the user has Spanish settings but lives in US, Glides will show the date with dd/mm/yyyy on screen.
You can test it changing your web browserā€˜s regional settings.

Rule #2:
If you are using Google Sheets to save data, the date will be saved using GSā€™ setting (regional setting) so, check your GS to change it if you want to fix a part of problem.

Of course, here is where the offset problems begins when user and GS donā€™t use same regional setting or have different time zones.

Rule #3.
Itā€™s funny but very useful :innocent:: donā€™t write the date values manually in Glide Editor, instead, you must use the Date Picker even, while you are testing!

If you do that manually, Glide thinks and uses the ā€œUS formatā€ for everything and you will see and hate those annoying cases where December is confused with the day #12 for example.

The final solution is more complicated (Jeff wrote a solution weeks ago and I use another one). Let me find the thread where we discussed this to help you a little more.

Saludos!

6 Likes

@gvalero are these what you are referring to, or are you thinking if something else?

1 Like

Have you tried doing these in a Glide table?
because Iā€™m not referring the the time zone offset that I was able to figure out, but to the dd-mm formats differences between a GS and a GT.
all the computed columns in a glide table donā€™t recognize the date that is stored in a date column with my browsers format.
I cant do anything with it

That right my friend Jeff!!

Anyone can know a lot reading those threads about dates issues.

Saludos!

For what itā€™s worth, I empathize :cherry_blossom:. Youā€™re saving me hours, as Iā€™ll not even try, but rather focus my energy on other features instead.
Thks, Lin for that. Sorry for your lost time.
Youā€™ll find other values to add to your apps.
This one does not seem ready yet to shine or cooperate.
It needs more experience :slightly_smiling_face:to be worthy.

1 Like

Hola de nuevo Lin,

What you are suffering is the same (I think) what I did time ago:

But I discovered that I must use Date Picker to test dates or create new ones and have the right date format I wanted.

As you can see, I tested using GT, not GS.

Sorry for my delay to reply fast, Iā€™m outside of my house using my phone with low battery :face_with_head_bandage:

Bye

2 Likes