GS or GT for speedy maps?

Howdy! I’m working on a proof-of-concept app for a startup that is utilizing maps to discover podcasts. We’d like to get as many pins on a map of the US as possible, but I know that performance degrades as the number of pins goes up. We’d like to figure out how to get the pins to load as quickly as possible, so I’m looking for suggestions:

1. Are Glide Tables going to load faster that Google Sheets?
  • Is there a way to set the zoom level on open of a map and/or center the map on a user’s location?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Chris

I’m not sure if the initial loading is any different when you use Glide Tables versus Google Sheets. Glide Tables does offer much better performance when you need to make changes and sync them though.

You should test this, but I believe if the user shares their location then it zooms to a certain degree to make their location centered.

3 Likes

Thanks Thinh. I’ll look elsewhere for performance improvements. Regarding location, when I’m prompted to share location, my blue dot pops on the map, but it’s not centered and the default zoom is covering all data. Oh, well.

Yeah I just tested the second one, only when you click the floating button it goes to your location.

1 Like

Another thought on pin loading: would they load faster if referenced from lat/long rather than address? I may test that on my app.

It might be quicker, since addresses wouldn’t have to be geocoded.

2 Likes

@Jeff_Hager thanks for jumping in. I switched the reference to the lat/long point and it didn’t seem to make any noticeable difference with the loading speed. I’ll keep it there for now just in case. For reference, I’m building this: https://truecrime.glideapp.io/

That’s a lot of pins. ;-). I would maybe consider some sort of categorization. Maybe a choice component or a list of States to drill down to a smaller list that you would show on a map. I’m not sure what else you could do to speed things up.

Thanks @Jeff_Hager. I’ll look into doing that and see what I can come up with.

1 Like